* [Edbrowse-dev] Edbrowse-arch-espeak-...
@ 2015-05-31 22:28 Lawrence Baggett
From: Lawrence Baggett @ 2015-05-31 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edbrowse-dev

This may be a problem just for me.

I just upgraded to arch 4.0.4, and I downloaded and built edbrowse
3.5.4.1.  I use speakup and the softsynth espeak.

Now, when I use edbrowse to read a file or a webpage, I get troubled
output. It's as if the espeak module can't handle the output.  Words are
skipped, sometimes entire lines are skipped.

I tried reducing the speakin rate, but no dice.

Do you think this is just an arch problem?

As always, thanks a lot for any help!

Larry

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] Edbrowse-arch-espeak-...
@ 2015-05-31 23:25 ` Chris Brannon
From: Chris Brannon @ 2015-05-31 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edbrowse-dev

Lawrence Baggett <Lawrence.Baggett@Colorado.EDU> writes:

> Now, when I use edbrowse to read a file or a webpage, I get troubled
> output. It's as if the espeak module can't handle the output.  Words are
> skipped, sometimes entire lines are skipped.

That sounds like the Speakup SMP bug to me.  There's a concurrency bug
somewhere in Speakup that causes it to drop text on multicore and
multiprocessor systems.  It doesn't seem to affect everyone equally,
either, and no one has found the cause.
We don't even know if it's in Speakup proper or the softsynth driver
itself.  I think you may be able to make it go away by booting with the
nosmp option.
What's interesting is that you've just noticed this all of a sudden,
after a kernel upgrade.  Is there a new bug different from the one I
described?  I should probably upgrade my kernel to find out.

-- Chris

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] Edbrowse-arch-espeak-...
@ 2015-06-02 20:19   ` Adam Thompson
From: Adam Thompson @ 2015-06-02 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Brannon; +Cc: edbrowse-dev