* [Edbrowse-dev] wrong tidy
@ 2015-08-29  3:09 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2015-08-29  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

Well I just have to tell you how far I was off my nut.

I went looking for tidybuffio.h, as per Kevin's last post, and couldn't find it.
I found other tidy headers, not that one, and yet the program compiled.
Finally I realized and remembered that everything was installed in /usr/local.
tidybuffio.h was there, but the other tidy headers were in /usr/include.
Why? because I had installed tidy and libtidy earlier.
I'd been doing all my testing on the old version of tidy,
without realizing it.
The tidy5 I installed wasn't being used at all,
not headers and not libraries.
Oops!

I removed those packages, rebuilt edbrowse, and then it wouldn't run.
tidy lib wouldn't link in.
I swashed around for a while and then discovered that /usr/include/lib
is not part of /etc/ld.so.cache* at least not on my distro.
I added that directory, ran ldconfig, and now edbrowse runs again, with tidy5.
Now I'm retesting some of my web pages, which I thought I cleaned up before.
So far they all behave the same.

So - could someone use edbrowse with existing tidy packages, rather than tidy5?
Probably not. As mentioned above, tidybuffio.h is not part
of the old tidy, and probably its functionality isn't either.
I'm sure we'll need the latest and greatest to proceed.
That's ok, tidy5 is a breeze to build and install.
Just make sure it isn't hidden by an earlier version of tidy.

Karl Dahlke

only message in thread, other threads:[~2015-08-29  3:07 UTC | newest]