* [Edbrowse-dev] Messages to and from edbrowse-curl
@ 2015-12-30 22:00 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2015-12-30 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

This is mostly from the point of view of edbrowse and surfing the net,
though I imagine js would issue a subset of these messages, as we've seen through xhr.

Before I start with these, let me say that I think all the mail stuff
should stay just like it is.
It ain't broke, don't fix it.
We don't need to fetch mail: pop3, imap, smtp, through edbrowse-curl.
Let's just leave that to the side for now
and concentrate on the browsing aspects.

Message from edbrowse to curl indicated by *

* Reread the config file, it has changed.
There could be new proxies, new cert file,
new sites that don't require certificates, etc etc,
and edbrowse-curl needs to refresh.
This is a bit like apache reload of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
Response:ack   - if a response is even required.

* Update a runtime parameter.
These are the commands like vs sr fmp fma hr that influence internet fetches.
We changed the variable in edbrowse,
this is a message to change the same variable in edbrowse-curl.
Response:ack   - if a response is even required.
There's some question of whether these changes are system wide,
which would be the easiest to implement.
type vs in any running instance of edbrowse and we are not verifying ssl for any
of the running edbrowse programs, because edbrowse-curl isn't doing that, or,
edbrowse-curl maintains instances of these variables for each connected edbrowse.
I really don't know the answer to this and don't have a strong opinion on it.

* Fetch this url, generic.
curl does most of what is in http today, store cookies,
follow 301 302 redirections if that feature is enabled,
until it reaches data, or some other condition.
- The data, coming over a stream or in a temp file or whatever makes sense,
and perhaps the headers as well.
- A request for user name and password, http code 401.
edbrowse-curl shouldn't be doing I/O, edbrowse gets the username
password and sends it back to edbrowse-curl.
- Debugging information if db4, the curl traffic sent and received.
This we just print when we get it and wait for the next response.
- Various urls that the browser is redirected to, if db2.
Again, this is debug information that we just print.
- The new url, the actual location of the page after redirection.
This becomes the "filename" of the page, and the base for relative url resolution.
- url looks like a streaming mime type.
We usually know this from protocol or suffix, but maybe that wasn't clear
until content-type was compared against your plugins.
- Progress dots, one per megabyte. Again we just print these.
- Looks like a file you'll want to download, supply a file name or x to abort
or space to read in memory as usual.

* Fetch this url and download to a file.
This is followup from the previous response, if you requested download to disk.
We should sent the final url, not the initial url.
Indicate foreground or background.
It's possible that edbrowse-curl doesn't care which,
just a matter of whether edbrowse waits for this to finish or moves on,
but it does matter because edbrowse-curl only sends the progress dots
if download is in the foreground.
Or maybe just an independent parameter for dots or no dots.
They aren't printed when fetching javascript, for instance.

* cookie name=value
This is the result of <meta http-equiv=set-cookie> or by javascript
document.cookie = "foo=bar";
Response:ack   - if a response is even required.

* Get cookies for this url.
These are used to populate document.cookie when javascript starts.

That's my list for now.
I think that would give us today's functionality.

Karl Dahlke