* [Edbrowse-dev] thoughts on frames
@ 2017-02-27 17:34 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2017-02-27 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

This is way to long for the irc.

I am both optimistic and pessimistic about frames.

Version 1 allows you to expand a frame inline, instead of the g command that expands it in a new buffer.
It works, pretty much. Browse jsrt and look at line 4.
Expand it with the exp command.
(Contract not yet implemented.)
So far so good.

Still problems though, a frame in space.com causes a seg fault when I expand it.
So still bugs to fix.

When finished, version 1 will allow expand and contract of frames inside a window, which is neat,
and worth doing I suppose, but it will not make a single website accessible to us that is not already accessible.
No progress there.

Version 2 might let the js worlds interact.
The window can see the js objects in the frames etc.
I have no clue, no flippin clue, how to do that.
I'm sure it's a lota lota work, and I believe it would gain us almost nothing.
One more acid3 test would pass, but I think very few websites do that, or need that functionality.
Frames tend to be independent ads, or videos, and that's it.
Rather, the vast majority of inaccessible websites will be brought into the fold by Kevin's find&fix work.
That's where the real world problems are.
That's where the rubber meets the road.
That's what I believe anyways.
So I will get frames version 1 working, but not sure if or when I will get round to frames version 2.
I don't think it's a lot of bang for the buck.
As always, I welcome opposing points of view.

Karl Dahlke