* [Edbrowse-dev] duktape branch available
@ 2017-07-10  7:23 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2017-07-10  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

Well that was several days of head-down plowing-forward work, and now I need to step back and take a breath.

I pushed what I have even though it's far from finished. Two reasons:

1. I might get hit by a bus tomorrow and I wouldn't want all that work to be lost.

2. I'll need your help in reviewing all these changes.
Someone else should step through every line, cause this is all brand new to me.
I need another pair of eyes, so to speak.

Although there are things that don't work, it's surprising that some of it actually does work.
I wrote a little file with javascript alert("hello world") and that works. Wow!
But still you don't want this to be your primary edbrowse, it's more to test and debug.
Checkout the duktape branch, build, and put it in edbrowse-duk or some such.

The new code is in total about 1300 lines shorter than the old, so either duktape is simpler, or I've cleaned things up along the way, or both.
As you read through jseng-duk.c you'll see it's a bit of both.
But first, read through startwindow.js.
It does a lot more in less space.
In particular, jump down to line 1157.
I loop over classes, then assign the standard dom methods to each class.
Do you remember how UGLY it use to be?
If your adapter didn't indicate, that's ugly in all caps.
Because it was UGLY!
I replicated each class, and put the methods on each class, as if I didn't know how to write a loop. Jesus Christ!
That and a few more cleanups makes it more readable.
And the js engine is cleaned up too, more orderly, etc.

Over the next few weeks I'll test, and fix bugs, etc, and you are encouraged to do the same.

Enjoy.

Karl Dahlke

only message in thread, other threads:[~2017-07-10  7:22 UTC | newest]