From: Chris Brannon <chris@the-brannons.com>
To: edbrowse-dev@edbrowse.org
Subject: Re: [edbrowse-dev] proposal: moving #edbrowse from freenode to libera
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 03:30:52 -0700	[thread overview]

"Kevin Carhart" <kevin_carhart@fastmail.fm> writes:

> For the people who talk on the IRC channel and haven't already done
> this, what do you think about moving to an #edbrowse on libera as a
> result of the ongoing troubles?

Here's the backstory for those who aren't following.  This hits kind of
close to home, since my girlfriend was Freenode staff and we actually
met on Freenode.  I dropped off Freenode suddenly, because I didn't want
to deal with this stuff.

Essentially, the head of staff at Freenode (Christel) sold it in 2017 to
a bitcoin millionaire, Andrew Lee.  Lee claimed that he would be
hands-off.  But last month, he made a power play, appointing people to
staff positions and trying to have others removed from staff positions.
Freenode has always been volunteer-run.  The volunteer staff resigned en
masse.  Here are links to a couple of their resignation letters.

https://fuchsnet.ch/freenode-resign-letter.txt
https://gist.github.com/aaronmdjones/1a9a93ded5b7d162c3f58bdd66b8f491

I registered #edbrowse on irc.libera.chat.  A few of us are in
##edbrowse, but we may as well drop the extra # if we do move to the new network.

-- Chris