* [Edbrowse-dev] edbrowse 3.7.1 is here
@ 2017-08-24  2:22 Chris Brannon
From: Chris Brannon @ 2017-08-24  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edbrowse-dev

Edbrowse 3.7.1 is here.
The main reason for doing this release so soon after 3.7.0 is
that some important functionality was broken.  If you do not have a ~/.ebrc,
edbrowse will try to create one for you on its first run.  Unfortunately,
instead of creating a config file, edbrowse 3.7.0 will crash.
That bug was introduced by me, Chris Brannon.  So here's my public mea culpa.
Aside from the bugfix, there has been a lot of activity lately.
Edbrowse is really moving forward!  Here's the short summary of
user-visible changes.

Automatically expand a frame when javascript tries to access its objects.
Otherwise it won't expand unti you expand it explicitly.
This saves resources; don't fetch and expand a frame unless it is needed.

^c interrupts javascript, if that javascript calls our native methods. It also interrupts http fetch.
Hit ^c if the browsing is taking too darn long - however - the page may not render properly or completely.
Don't do this if you are using this page for ecommerce or something vital.

Keep edbrowse in 1 process. Don't fork a javascript process to make all the js calls.
There are many technical reasons why 1 process is a better design.

The keyword jspool is no longer used in the .ebrc config file.  This
was needed for Mozilla JS, but it is not needed for Duktape.

Gather keyword value pairs from <style> tags and css files and apply them to the corresponding javascript objects.
Implement getComputedStyle().

You can get edbrowse from the usual place:
https://github.com/CMB/edbrowse/archive/v3.7.1.tar.gz,
or https://github.com/CMB/edbrowse/archive/v3.7.1.zip if you prefer
a zip archive.

-- Chris

only message in thread, other threads:[~2017-08-24  2:21 UTC | newest]