* [Edbrowse-dev] statically linked edbrowse executable for Linux is...
@ 2014-06-10 14:53 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2014-06-10 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

Well this is just awesome!

A) Should you put a description and link in your edbrowse home page,
much like the email you sent around, explaining what it is and why?

B) Should I do the same in the users guide?
The only issue there is linkrot, and I already have
an uncomfortable number of links to external sources.
In theory a manual page shouldn't be pointing to things on the internet,
but mine does.

Yes I still use the perl version, I plopped it into my Wife's macbook
so I feel at home when I ssh in.
I would likely do the same for any computer I log into.

Karl Dahlke

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] statically linked edbrowse executable for Linux is...
@ 2014-06-10 16:53 ` Chris Brannon
From: Chris Brannon @ 2014-06-10 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

Karl Dahlke <eklhad@comcast.net> writes:

> A) Should you put a description and link in your edbrowse home page,

Yes, I plan on it, after I build the 32-bit version and sign all the executables.
As for the user's guide, a little blurb of text like the following might
work.
<quote>
If you're Linux distribution doesn't package edbrowse, but you'd still
like to use it without going through the hassle of building it yourself, you
can find statically-linked executables for Linux on the edbrowse home page.
These require no external dependencies.  Just fetch the executable
appropriate for your architecture, copy it to one of the directories
listed in your $PATH environment variable, and run it.
</quote>
So if links change, they only have to change in one place.

> Yes I still use the perl version, I plopped it into my Wife's macbook

I've also used it under SCO Unix and Solaris, not to mention all of the
BSDs.  Perl is pretty ubiquitous.

-- Chris

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] statically linked edbrowse executable for Linux is...
@ 2014-06-11  8:51   ` Chris Brannon
From: Chris Brannon @ 2014-06-11  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

I've uploaded the 32-bit binary.
Here's the executables page:
http://the-brannons.com/edbrowse/static
This is linked from the edbrowse home page.
Both binaries are now built against latest git.  The one I uploaded
yesterday was just a test run, to prove that I could do it.

As an asside, the 32-bit binary also runs perfectly on 64-bit.  It's
statically linked, so no multilib tom-foolery.  Maybe it's pointless
to have two binaries.  I don't know, but I'll probably keep things as
they are.

-- Chris