* [Edbrowse-dev] statically linked edbrowse executable for Linux is finally here!
@ 2014-06-10 13:34 Chris Brannon
From: Chris Brannon @ 2014-06-10 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edbrowse-dev

Remember the good old days, when edbrowse was a single Perl script?
You could download it, plop it in a directory in $PATH, and go.  No
fuss, no muss.
Until late 2001 or so, that Perl script didn't even have any external
dependencies, aside from a working Perl.
It was one easily-deployed executable.
That's why I still occasionally use the Perl version of edbrowse.

Those days are back, at least if you're on Linux!
Here's a statically linked edbrowse executable:
http://the-brannons.com/edbrowse-static-linux
This was built from a snapshot taken in April, so it's not quite in sync
with git.  I'll fix that later.  Also, I'll eventually distribute a gpg
signature, so you can be assured that the binary actually came from me.

Unfortunately, it's around 9 megabytes in size, compared to a 223k Perl
script.
Plus, the Perl version remains useful for non-Linux hosts.
Anyway, this should make life easier for people who just want to get up
and running with edbrowse while avoiding the chore of building it for themselves.

I built this on Alpine Linux, and it is linked against musl, a new
implementation of the standard C library.  Cudos to Rich Felker for
releasing a full-featured libc that does *not* break static linking!
For people who like to read source, the musl codebase is also quite
readable.

-- Chris

only message in thread, other threads:[~2014-06-10 13:34 UTC | newest]