* [Edbrowse-dev] FreeBSD port
@ 2014-01-18  7:01 David Vionnet
From: David Vionnet @ 2014-01-18  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edbrowse-dev

I'm pleased to let you know that Edbrowse 3.4.10 was added to FreeBSD's
port collection. There were only minimal changes required to install it
on my machine, so I set up a mirror for the tarball and filed a PR.

Much to my surprise, it took only a week to be reviewed and included in
the port tree. I hope it will be useful to many users: Edbrowse is a
nice piece of software.

http://www.freshports.org/www/edbrowse

--
David Vionnet

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] FreeBSD port
@ 2014-01-18 17:15 ` Cleverson Casarin Uliana
From: Cleverson Casarin Uliana @ 2014-01-18 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edbrowse-dev

Congratulations; I wanted to try one of the BSDs for a long time, but
AFAIC, there are no adapters/screen readers unfortunately. I have heard
that ESpeak can be compiled on a BSD, and there appears to be a YASR
port, but I have no enough technical skills to put it all together, and
installing/using an entire OS through SSH is not practical.

Cheers
Cleverson

@ 2014-01-18 17:46   ` Chris Brannon
From: Chris Brannon @ 2014-01-18 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edbrowse-dev

Cleverson Casarin Uliana <clcaul@gmail.com> writes:

> and installing/using an entire OS through SSH is not
> practical.

First, congratulations to David on getting edbrowse into the ports tree!

Well, if you just want to try FreeBSD, there are always virtual machines.
Have a look at qemu.  It has a curses display driver, which you can
select by passing -curses on the command line.  Any text-mode OS should
work.  You may have trouble if the OS insists on displaying one of those
silly splash screens.  This puts the display into graphic mode and
breaks qemu's curses driver.  With Linux, this can usually be gotten
around by passing an appropriate parameter to the kernel at boot.
I've never had any trouble with this when running *BSD under qemu, so I
assume they don't do the splash screen thing?
Serial consoles are also an option.  With qemu, you can redirect the
serial port to a TCP listener, so that you can access the serial console
via telnet.  Use a Unix-domain socket and socat for greater security.
If your hardware supports hardware virtualization, you can
use qemu with kvm.  This is much more performant than plain qemu.  It
isn't noticeably slower than running on bare metal.
I've used qemu extensively for many things, including trying out
various flavors of BSD.  So if you want to take FreeBSD for a spin
without installing it on actual hardware, this is a great option.

-- Chris

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] FreeBSD port
@ 2014-01-18 18:09     ` Cleverson Casarin Uliana
From: Cleverson Casarin Uliana @ 2014-01-18 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edbrowse-dev

Thank you Chris, I'll investigate the qemu option. In any case, lets
hope there appear more human resources to make such other systems more
usable as alternatives for the blind in the future.

Regards
Cleverson

Em 18/01/2014 15:46, Chris Brannon escreveu:
> Cleverson Casarin Uliana<clcaul@gmail.com>  writes:
>
>> and installing/using an entire OS through SSH is not
>> practical.
>
> First, congratulations to David on getting edbrowse into the ports tree!
>
> Well, if you just want to try FreeBSD, there are always virtual machines.
> Have a look at qemu.  It has a curses display driver, which you can
> select by passing -curses on the command line.  Any text-mode OS should
> work.  You may have trouble if the OS insists on displaying one of those
> silly splash screens.  This puts the display into graphic mode and
> breaks qemu's curses driver.  With Linux, this can usually be gotten
> around by passing an appropriate parameter to the kernel at boot.
> I've never had any trouble with this when running *BSD under qemu, so I
> assume they don't do the splash screen thing?
> Serial consoles are also an option.  With qemu, you can redirect the
> serial port to a TCP listener, so that you can access the serial console
> via telnet.  Use a Unix-domain socket and socat for greater security.
> If your hardware supports hardware virtualization, you can
> use qemu with kvm.  This is much more performant than plain qemu.  It
> isn't noticeably slower than running on bare metal.
> I've used qemu extensively for many things, including trying out
> various flavors of BSD.  So if you want to take FreeBSD for a spin
> without installing it on actual hardware, this is a great option.
>
> -- Chris

* [Edbrowse-dev]  FreeBSD port
@ 2014-01-19  1:00 ` Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2014-01-19  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

> There were only minimal changes required to install it

Would it make sense to push some of these changes into the main branch,
or are they very bsd specific?
Maybe conditional compilation #ifdef FREEBSD
Is there a way I might look at those changes and evaluate?
I just want to make future ports easier.

Karl Dahlke

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] FreeBSD port
@ 2014-01-19  1:53   ` Chris Brannon
From: Chris Brannon @ 2014-01-19  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

Karl Dahlke <eklhad@comcast.net> writes:

> Would it make sense to push some of these changes into the main branch,

David sent his patch to me off-list, and I applied it to the main
branch.  It only consisted of changes to makefile.bsd.

-- Chris