* [edbrowse-dev] shc
@ 2021-01-31  0:18 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2021-01-31  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edbrowse-dev, niko

As usual, I'm trying to take small steps that won't disturb anything.

This is followup to my previous email about accessing the cells in a possibly wide table.

We want to query a cell by its column name or number, but can we get our hands on the column headings?
That would be the first step, yes?

There is already an shc command to show the columns of a database table,
only meaningful when edbrowse is in database mode.
I generalized it to show the headings of an html table, if headings exist.
But it is very specific,
perhaps too specific,
See html.c line 3970
So no doubt people will play with it and find examples where it doesn't work and I'll have to tweak these routines.
This part has to work, for almost all of the html tables in the real world,
before we can talk about any of the other commands,
such as col35 for the cell in position 35,
or colfoo to find the column with a heading that contains the word foo, etc.

Karl Dahlke

* Re: [edbrowse-dev] shc
@ 2021-02-13  9:28 ` Adam Thompson
From: Adam Thompson @ 2021-02-13  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Dahlke; +Cc: edbrowse-dev

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 07:18:47PM -0500, Karl Dahlke wrote:
> As usual, I'm trying to take small steps that won't disturb anything.
>
> This is followup to my previous email about accessing the cells in a possibly wide table.
>
> We want to query a cell by its column name or number, but can we get our hands on the column headings?
> That would be the first step, yes?
>
> There is already an shc command to show the columns of a database table,
> only meaningful when edbrowse is in database mode.
> I generalized it to show the headings of an html table, if headings exist.
> But it is very specific,
> perhaps too specific,
> See html.c line 3970
> So no doubt people will play with it and find examples where it doesn't work and I'll have to tweak these routines.
> This part has to work, for almost all of the html tables in the real world,
> before we can talk about any of the other commands,
> such as col35 for the cell in position 35,
> or colfoo to find the column with a heading that contains the word foo, etc.

Sounds like a step in the right direction.

Cheers,
Adam.