From: Kevin Carhart <kevin@carhart.net>
To: Adam Thompson <arthompson1990@gmail.com>
Cc: Edbrowse-dev@lists.the-brannons.com
Subject: Re: [Edbrowse-dev] about compiling 3.5.1
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 02:53:10 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

Hi Adam and list,

All right, I actually got 3.5.1 to compile on my 32-bit centos after all!
Thank you for the nudge or I may have given up.

I took some notes as I was doing it which may help others.

I had some repo issues but I found they were a moot point because mozjs
requires at least python 2.7, and the packages only go to 2.6.  I had a
dependencies conflict but it turned out to be moot.

Then, I was lucky and found a stack overflow thread and shell script that
someone wrote to download and install python 2.7 on centos 5.

Here it is:
https://gist.github.com/timss/5122008

The shell script worked great.  Thank you timss.  The shell script took
care of installing the upgraded Python to an alternate path using 'make
altinstall' so that it wouldn't interfere with system Python which a lot
of already installed programs rely on.

So FYI, when I do a 'python -V' on this 32-bit Centos, it still tells me
Python 2.4.3
But if I ask for
/usr/local/bin/python2.7 -V
It tells me
Python 2.7.3

And just installing was enough for the configure script.  Configure picked
up Python 2.7.3 and I didn't need to export it or anything.

Then I still had issues with the mozjs configure script wanting gcc 4.4.
I installed gcc 4.4 and g++ 4.4 with yum and then needed to export:
export CC="/usr/bin/gcc44"
export CXX="/usr/bin/g++44"

At this point, configure worked.
At this point, make succeeded - it took an hour.  Wow!
Ran make install.

Then I ran ldconfig.  I'm not sure if I needed to.

I added -lncurses to the edbrowse makefile

Then I used this line:
make JS_CXXFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include/mozjs-24 JSLIB=-lmozjs-24 edbrowse

Edbrowse 3.5.1 compiled!

Then I still needed to upgrade libcurl.  No newer package for CentOS so I
compiled libcurl and then used a symbolic link to get edbrowse to pick it
up.

Success!

thanks for the help,
Kevin

On Wed, 25 Jun 2014, Kevin Carhart wrote:

> Hi Adam
>
> carhart.net python: 2.6.8
> crispi-gosh.org python: 2.4.3
> baby-debian's python: 2.7.3
>
> Ok, I was going to write you a verbose thing but let me put it on hold
> because I must have a yum problem or not have the right repos.  When I go to
> crispi-gosh and run 'yum update python', it doesn't find anything newer than
> 2.4.3 to update to.  Yet carhart and crispi are very similar CentOSes, and
> my brother has got 2.6.8, so why can't I have it too..  I must have screwed
> up my repos.d, which is not a problem that other edbrowse installors are
> likely to face assuming they don't go and break things for fun, so let me go
> deal with yum, try again and maybe I will get substantially further once I
> have the latest python.
>
> thanks
> Kevin

--------
Kevin Carhart * 415 225 5306 * The Ten Ninety Nihilists