From: Kevin Carhart <kevin@carhart.net>
To: Edbrowse-dev@lists.the-brannons.com
Subject: [Edbrowse-dev] AJAX and iframes
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 19:09:06 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

I'm sorry to hear about ongoing turmoil.  Good wishes.  I hope it goes as
well as possible.

About Adam's question, hi Adam, I have not done anything since the
synchronous-JAX code.  I think it's all yours if you have some time.  IPC
is over my head, or at least I don't have a background utilizing it.  But
I have been following along interestedly with your discussions!

Since iframes have come up recently, is there anything to be gained by
talking about the two things in tandem?  If you're considering doing some
work on true AJAX, is there an opportunity for making some code do double
duty and saving some work, by basing iframes on the same work as long as
you're there?  This would be if we wanted to switch the technique from the
current (give the user a hyperlink to that content) to inline loading of
what the iframe contains.  I have just been reading around recently that
iframes and AJAX are comparable, right?  I have found pages that say
things like:

"There are basically 3 client side ways of including external content
into a page ... a visible iframe ... a hidden iframe .... or VIA Ajax."

And a stack overflow question, "Why AJAX over iframes?" albeit from 2012.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10656992/why-ajax-over-iframes

thanks
Kevin