* [Edbrowse-dev] Where are we with AJAX and js engines?
@ 2016-04-09  8:10 Adam Thompson
From: Adam Thompson @ 2016-04-09  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

Hi all,

Sorry I've been somewhat quiet as of late, been busy sorting out various things.
I was just wondering where we were re: AJAX (instead of our current synchronous
implementation) and js engines?  What's most important to fix and whos doing
what currently?

Cheers,
Adam.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* [Edbrowse-dev]  Where are we with AJAX and js engines?
@ 2016-04-09 12:27 ` Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2016-04-09 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

> What's most important and
> whos doing what currently?

I'm afraid I'm doing not a damn thing, as my mother is dying,
my wife is in a cast and even the slightest household task requires
the coordinated efforts of the two of us,
my son's emotional issues never seem to end, my daughter is flirting with
homelessness and destitution again,
dragging her son down with her,
and my wife and I will soon need to move again, as this was my Mom's house
and is underwater so the bank will glom onto it.
If any one else wants to work on edbrowse I'd be happy to direct / advise;
that's probably all I can do for the foreseeable future.

As for priority, I continue to suggest the find&fix method,
what can't people run, like google groups or github etc, why,
and is it really requiring a complex system like ajax or is it something silly
like a missing dom object?
I say that only because I tend to be user driven, market driven,
and Adam generally is not, design it all to work as it should
from the get-go, and that's good, if we all have the time.
So I don't know.
Love you all and glad you're on my team.

Ok, here's a thought.
I think the next step is separating the curl stuff out into its own curl
server process,

edbrowse --mode curl

See main.c line 550.
This would render almost no change from the user's perspective,
but would seem to be necessary for future things to work right.
I think we were talking about this when everyone went into hiatus
for various reasons.
I proposed a series of messages back and forth between user edbrowse and edbrowse curl,
to fetch data and coordinate cookies and certificates and the like.
I'll seee if I can find that thread.
One curl server per user, so that parallel instances of edbrowse
would not access and clobber the same cookie jar.
I've done this experiment: edbrowse in two different consoles,
1 reads website A, 2 reads website B,
1 exits and writes the jar, 2 exits and writes the jar,
cookies from site A are gone.
This is a big job, a necessary job,
a job that lays some ipc groundwork,
but not as big as asynchronous js and some of the other
things we're flirting with.

Karl Dahlke

* [Edbrowse-dev] AJAX and iframes
@ 2016-04-11  2:09 ` Kevin Carhart
From: Kevin Carhart @ 2016-04-11  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

I'm sorry to hear about ongoing turmoil.  Good wishes.  I hope it goes as
well as possible.

About Adam's question, hi Adam, I have not done anything since the
synchronous-JAX code.  I think it's all yours if you have some time.  IPC
is over my head, or at least I don't have a background utilizing it.  But
I have been following along interestedly with your discussions!

Since iframes have come up recently, is there anything to be gained by
talking about the two things in tandem?  If you're considering doing some
work on true AJAX, is there an opportunity for making some code do double
duty and saving some work, by basing iframes on the same work as long as
you're there?  This would be if we wanted to switch the technique from the
current (give the user a hyperlink to that content) to inline loading of
what the iframe contains.  I have just been reading around recently that
iframes and AJAX are comparable, right?  I have found pages that say
things like:

"There are basically 3 client side ways of including external content
into a page ... a visible iframe ... a hidden iframe .... or VIA Ajax."

And a stack overflow question, "Why AJAX over iframes?" albeit from 2012.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10656992/why-ajax-over-iframes

thanks
Kevin

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] Where are we with AJAX and js engines?
@ 2016-04-15 19:50   ` Adam Thompson
From: Adam Thompson @ 2016-04-15 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Dahlke; +Cc: Edbrowse-dev