* [Edbrowse-dev] Interwindow Communication
@ 2017-07-26  6:57 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2017-07-26  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

This is where javascript accesses the objects in the subordinate windows, also known as frames.
It sort of works, and I'm in shock.
I'm amazed that 30 or 40 lines of code brings this to life.
I had no clue how to do this in mozilla, no clue whatsoever, but I did the obvious dozen lines of code in duktape, and it works.
Remember that jsrt has a frame, so browse jsrt and expand the frame with the exp command.
That frame is now part of the screen you're already familiar with.
If you enter jdb in the frame you'll have access to all the objects of the frame, but that isn't really what we want to demonstrate.
frames[0] is the one and only frame, and under this is contentDocument,
and under that is all the nodes of the frame.
I even went in and set foo = 77 in a style object, so we have read write access.

Kevin, don't get excited and assume the next acid test will pass. It won't.
That's because I don't expand frames automatically at load time.
They're not there until you type exp.
If possible I'd like to keep it that way.
edbrowse is slow enough as it is, and most of those frames are google analytics or advertising or other such crap.
Now there may be a really tricky way around this, for some day in the future.
Imagine each frame has a default contentDocument object that I create, that has a getter.
The first time any javascript tries to access it, the getter runs, and expands the frame inside,
and passes back the real contentDocument for that frame, and js marches on none the wiser.
Pretty sneaky eh?
Then you only expand if you really have to.
Even then, the expansion is under the covers, you don't actually see the frame unless you type exp.
Then it's expand and contract as usual, which are really hide and unhide.
Anyways, play around with it if you like, especially you Kevin, to see if everything is linked in the way it's suppose to be.

Karl Dahlke

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] Interwindow Communication
@ 2017-07-26  9:09 ` Kevin Carhart
From: Kevin Carhart @ 2017-07-26  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Dahlke; +Cc: Edbrowse-dev

Thank you, Karl.  That's exciting.  I will be doing more edbrowse after I
publish and release the thing I've been leading up to for 8 months.  (It
has to do with quickly deploying an internet map to augment activism.
Mentioning this for the benefit of anyone reading-- I've told Karl about
it!)

That's my excuse but the end is approaching.  Heavy editing for the past
week and a half.  Moving sections of documentation around, trying code,
dealing with git, banging my head.  It really is the heavy period at the
end of writing & editing something, where you are exhilarated that you are
actually going to finish.

It is great that duktape has been a catalyst for all of the recent
improvements.  I look forward to digging in to more edbrowse soon.

Kevin

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] Interwindow Communication
@ 2017-07-26 10:09   ` Chuck Hallenbeck
From: Chuck Hallenbeck @ 2017-07-26 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Carhart; +Cc: Karl Dahlke, Edbrowse-dev

Kevin,

For the record, I for one appreciate what you are doing for both causes!

Chuck

On Wed, 26 Jul 2017, Kevin Carhart wrote:

> Thank you, Karl.  That's exciting.  I will be doing more edbrowse after I
> publish and release the thing I've been leading up to for 8 months.  (It has
> to do with quickly deploying an internet map to augment activism. Mentioning
> this for the benefit of anyone reading-- I've told Karl about it!)
>
> That's my excuse but the end is approaching.  Heavy editing for the past week
> and a half.  Moving sections of documentation around, trying code, dealing
> with git, banging my head.  It really is the heavy period at the end of
> writing & editing something, where you are exhilarated that you are actually
> going to finish.
>
> It is great that duktape has been a catalyst for all of the recent
> improvements.  I look forward to digging in to more edbrowse soon.
>
> Kevin

Here In Northeast Ohio, The Moon is Waxing Crescent (12% of Full)
Sent from Sherry's iPhone.
A wise teacher once convinced me I didn't know math from a hole in the ground.

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] Interwindow Communication
@ 2017-07-26 22:56     ` Kevin Carhart
From: Kevin Carhart @ 2017-07-26 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chuck Hallenbeck; +Cc: Edbrowse-dev

Thank you, Chuck!

On Wed, 26 Jul 2017, Chuck Hallenbeck wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> For the record, I for one appreciate what you are doing for both causes!
>
> Chuck
>

> On Wed, 26 Jul 2017, Kevin Carhart wrote:
>

>> Thank you, Karl.  That's exciting.  I will be doing more edbrowse after I
>> publish and release the thing I've been leading up to for 8 months.  (It
>> has to do with quickly deploying an internet map to augment activism.
>> Mentioning this for the benefit of anyone reading-- I've told Karl about
>> it!)
>>
>> That's my excuse but the end is approaching.  Heavy editing for the past
>> week and a half.  Moving sections of documentation around, trying code,
>> dealing with git, banging my head.  It really is the heavy period at the
>> end of writing & editing something, where you are exhilarated that you are
>> actually going to finish.
>>
>> It is great that duktape has been a catalyst for all of the recent
>> improvements.  I look forward to digging in to more edbrowse soon.
>>
>> Kevin
>>

> --
> Here In Northeast Ohio, The Moon is Waxing Crescent (12% of Full)
> Sent from Sherry's iPhone.
> A wise teacher once convinced me I didn't know math from a hole in the
> ground.

--------
Kevin Carhart * 415 225 5306 * The Ten Ninety Nihilists