From: Neel Krishnaswami <neelakantan....@gmail.com>
Cc: Homotopy Type Theory <HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [HoTT] Re: Canonical forms for initiality
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 11:57:55 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Mike,

Why do you prefer this style of definition to specifying the hereditary
substitution as a function (using an inductive-recursive definition)? It
seems like that would give you all the coherences you want since all
the substitution equations would hold judgmentally.[*]

I do want to see it worked out your way, now that you've told me about
it, but that's because doing the same thing two ways is usually
clarifying. However, the "obvious" way to generalize the simply-typed
presentation is with an inductive-recursive definition.

Best,
Neel

[*] I think?, since I haven't done the proofs.