From: Michael Shulman <shu...@sandiego.edu>
To: Neel Krishnaswami <neelakantan....@gmail.com>
Cc: Homotopy Type Theory <HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [HoTT] Re: Canonical forms for initiality
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 04:16:11 -0700	[thread overview]

Good question!  I can think of three reasons:

1. We still don't know whether inductive-recursive definitions make
sense homotopically.
2. In my limited experience, inductive-inductive definitions generally
have more powerful induction principles than inductive-recursive ones.
In particular, it's much less clear to me that with an
inductive-recursive definition we could map out of it into any
(oo,1)-category.
3. I'm less confident than you that the inductive-recursive case would
be easier.  My experience with this sort of thing leads me to believe
that it's like playing whack-a-mole: if you think you solve the
coherence problem in one way then it pops up somewhere else.  But
someone should try it!

Mike