From: Michael Shulman <shulman@sandiego.edu>
To: Matt Oliveri <atmacen@gmail.com>
Cc: Homotopy Type Theory <HomotopyTypeTheory@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [HoTT] Equality in the Model Type Framework
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2018 21:49:39 -0700	[thread overview]

We are still working out the details.  Semantically, I would certainly
expect a "theory" in a DTT to be allowed to assert judgmental
equalities.  But such theories might be poorly behaved syntactically:
allowing the "user" to add judgmental equalities in a DTT tends to
break lots of nice type-theoretic properties.  I could be wrong
though, perhaps someone more knowlegeable could say more -- this isn't
really a question about our modal DTT specifically but just more
generally about what a dependently typed "theory" is.