* The Interval type in Hott vs. in real analysis
@ 2017-10-17 16:39 du yu
From: du yu @ 2017-10-17 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Homotopy Type Theory

I have seen the definition of Interval type [0,1] in HoTT book as higher
inductive type and in cubical type theory as De-morgan algebra, and in real
analysis there exists continuous function from [0,1] to Real,which means
[0,1] is equivalent to R . How are these thing relate to each other?

* Re: [HoTT] The Interval type in Hott vs. in real analysis
@ 2017-10-17 20:40 ` Michael Shulman
From: Michael Shulman @ 2017-10-17 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: du yu; +Cc: Homotopy Type Theory

The higher inductive "homotopical" interval is a very different thing
from the "topological" interval of real numbers.  The connection is
that the homotopical interval is the "shape" or "fundamental
infinity-groupoid" of the topological interval.  The tradition in
homotopy theory of identifying topological spaces with their shapes,
or differently-put of studying infinity-groupoids indirectly by way of
topological spaces whose shapes they are, leads to the confusion and
the coincidence of names.