* [HoTT] Fully funded PhD positions at Tallinn University of Technology
@ 2020-06-25 14:57 Edward Morehouse
From: Edward Morehouse @ 2020-06-25 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Homotopy Type Theory

The Compositional Systems and Methods group at the Tallinn University of
Technology, Estonia (https://compose.ioc.ee) is seeking highly qualified
PhD candidates.

The ideal student should have a solid grounding in category theory, and in
at least one of the following areas: programming languages, concurrency
theory, quantum computing, database and information systems, or machine
learning.

The group’s lingua franca is category theory and our research concerns
mathematical foundations, as well as various applications in computer
science and related disciplines. We are working on relational algebra and
functorial semantics, open games, process languages for smart contracts,
string diagrams, compositional descriptions of models of computation and
concurrency, lenses and optics in functional programming, type theory, and
several other topics.

The group is led by Pawel Sobocinski, has two postdoctoral researchers,
Edward Morehouse and Fosco Loregian, and four PhD students: Elena Di
Lavore, Nathan Haydon, Chad Nester and Mario Román. One additional
postdoctoral researcher will be recruited in the autumn of 2020. Our
research is supported by the ESF funded Estonian IT Academy research
measure.

The group’s ethos emphasises openness, and inter-group collaboration is
highly encouraged. We maintain an active member-led seminar series and hold
regular group meetings, research retreats in the Estonian countryside, and
various cross-cutting research activities.

The successful students will be awarded a generous stipend and be provided
with computing equipment and resources for travelling to conferences,
summer schools, and other events relevant to their projects.

Applicants should hold a Masters degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or
a closely related field. To apply, send a CV and a motivation letter
outlining your research interests to Pawel Sobocinski
pawel.sobocinski@taltech.ee.

APPLICATION DEADLINE: July 31, 2020
STARTING DATE: November 2020 or as per agreement

Fosco Loregian
Edward Morehouse
Pawel Sobocinski