* Re: Starting gnus
       [not found] <1056t9ha8u57ka9@corp.supernews.com>
@ 2004-03-13 22:48 ` Brett I. Holcomb
       [not found]   ` <yoij4qssurtf.fsf@frealaf.dd.chalmers.se>
       [not found] ` <87vfl7vo9i.fsf@nomail.invalid>
From: Brett I. Holcomb @ 2004-03-13 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have noticed that if I say "y" to continue? I get a gnus window and if
I type ^ to get a list of servers they all say denied.  Neither of the
servers I have defined require authentication so what is the denied
trying to tell me?  If I pick nndraft or nnfolder I get connected to
something and get a Gnu Browse Server tab.  What am I missing here.

I've gone through the gnus tutorial at gnus.org and checked the FAQs and
set up my .gnu file which brings up another question.  The tutorial says
to make a ~/.gnus.el file while other docs say make a ~/.gnus file.
Which is correct?

Thanks.

Brett I. Holcomb wrote:
> I installed Xemacs and gnus and am attempting to get it running.  I get
> the nntp:news.server.com open error '' Continue (y or n).  Yes I have
> read all the FAQs on various sites and I have my ~/.gnus file setup with
> a news server and the information the FAQs and tutorials say I need. The
> newsgroups are ones that work in Thunderbird.  However, I still get the
> error.
>
> How can I fix this?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Here's the ~/.gnus file.  The last line might wrap but is not wrapped in
> the file.
>
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.microsoft.com"))
> (setq user-mail-address "brettholcomb@charter.net")
> (setq user-full-name "Brett I. Holcomb")
> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nntp
> "news.linux-sxs.org"))

* Re: Starting gnus
       [not found]       ` <87ptbgdprd.fld@barrow.com>
@ 2004-03-14 18:10         ` Brett I. Holcomb
       [not found]         ` <1059sbpnu0eo556@corp.supernews.com>
From: Brett I. Holcomb @ 2004-03-14 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you for the detailed explanation.  I will have to digest this and
think on it.  I don't even get a password request.

* Re: Starting gnus
       [not found]   ` <105982aq5tgv3e1@corp.supernews.com>
@ 2004-03-14 19:17     ` Pettersen; Roald
From: Pettersen; Roald @ 2004-03-14 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brett I. Holcomb:

> I'm connected with a cable modem and TBird is seeing the
> connection. However, this is good to know.

Sorry to say I can't reproduce my problem,
so I could very well be totally wrong.
I just remember it as not beeing able to connect with gnus or w3,
while lynx gave me no problem.
When I at last got gnus going I had started pppd before emacs.
Today I don't need this, so again I could be very wrong.

* Re: Starting gnus
       [not found]             ` <105nc24heilgebf@corp.supernews.com>
@ 2004-03-20 20:23               ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-03-20 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Brett I. Holcomb" <brett@R777charter.net> writes:

> Just one in ~/.gnus.el.  I've also named this .gnus and tried it.

.gnus.el and gnus.el are two different files.  It won't work to use
Gnus without a gnus.el (or gnus.elc) file -- that's the source code ;-)

I'm sorry I caused this misunderstanding.

Kai

* Re: Starting gnus
@ 2004-03-20 20:55                 ` Brett I. Holcomb
       [not found]                   ` <m2y8pvxlnt.fsf@Stella-Blue.local>
From: Brett I. Holcomb @ 2004-03-20 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

So I need a gnus.el or gnus.elc file - what goes in it?  I've been
putting my servers, etc in ~/.gnus?  Do I put that stuff in ~/gnus.el -
this is what I have in my ~/.gnus file.

(setq mail-sources '((pop :server "xxxxxx" :user "xxxxx" :password
"xxx")))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")))
(setq nnmail-split-methods '(("inbox" "")))
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "your_smtp_server")

Kai Grossjohann wrote:
> "Brett I. Holcomb" <brett@R777charter.net> writes:
>

>>Just one in ~/.gnus.el.  I've also named this .gnus and tried it.
>

> .gnus.el and gnus.el are two different files.  It won't work to use
> Gnus without a gnus.el (or gnus.elc) file -- that's the source code ;-)
>
> I'm sorry I caused this misunderstanding.
>
> Kai

* Re: Starting gnus
       [not found]                         ` <105rm6j3a3kfa0a@corp.supernews.com>
@ 2004-03-21 19:36                           ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2004-03-21 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Brett I. Holcomb" <brett@R777charter.net> writes:

> Got it now.  I thought there was yet another gnus.el I needed.  Glad
> to know all the parts are there!
>
> Yup, I've done all that many times.  I read the tutorial, the
> gnus.org docs (have them all bookmarked) and went through and set up
> my ~/.gnus file.  I've used ~/.gnus from other working situations.
> I have found that I could connect to a free mail server and see the
> messages but couldn't post.  News just won't connect.  Here's what I
> have so far.
>
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.linux-sxs.org"))

That looks good.  Does your newsserver require authenticated login?
That's the next hangup I could forsee.

> (setq nntp-record-commands t)

I don't know what this does.  I don't have it in my .gnus, but that
doesn;t mean anything by itself.

For mail using Gnus, you have to choose which backend you want to
use.  I like nnml but there are options (rmail, for example) for POP
accounts; IMAP accounts have some different options.  In all cases,
Gnus really treats mail like news- it creates a local "group" like a
newsgroup except your mail goes in it and is treated like news
articles.  You can specify your own groups for mail and split mail
into those groups.  If you don't specify, Gnus puts all your mail in
"mail.misc" which appears in the group buffer just like a newsgroup.

You can specify your e-mail address and screen name thusly:

     (setq user-full-name "Tim McNamara")
     (setq user-mail-address "timmcn@bitstream.net")

and you can specify your mail server and mail backend (interface)
like this:

     (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnml ""))
     (eval-after-load "mail-source"
      '(add-to-list 'mail-sources '(pop :server "your.mailserver.xxx"
                                        :user "your-username"
                                        :password "your-password")))

And you can specify how Gnus sends oput your mail (by default it
tries to use sendmail, I believe; if you want to send it via your
mail server, you have to specify):

   (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
   (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
   (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.bitstream.net")

In my .emacs file I have (why I have this in my .emacs rather than my
.gnus, I am not sure.  I don't know if it makes a difference to have
it there versus in .gnus):

(require 'smtpmail)
  (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)         ; for `mail'
  (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it) ; for `message'
  (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.bitstream.net")
  (setq smtpmail-local-domain "bitstream.net")
  (setq smtpmail-queue-mail nil)
  (setq smtpmail-debug-info nil)

You might want to change the latter sexp from "nil" to "t" in order
to debug any problems with sending mail.

* Re: Starting gnus
@ 2004-03-21 22:41                             ` Brett I. Holcomb
From: Brett I. Holcomb @ 2004-03-21 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

This news server doesn't need login.  Another one I have does but gnus
is supposed to ask for a username/password it the ~/.authinfo file does
not exist.

The nntp-record-commands is there at the suggestion of someone on this
list.  It is supposed to give you another buffer with more details but
so far doesn't work - I get no extra buffer.

I'll try working with just mail and see what happens.

Thanks.