* Can access everything but Inbox on my IMAP server
@ 2007-06-20 15:03 levander
From: levander @ 2007-06-20 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

After having spent an hour figuring out that you have to set an NNTP
server even if you just want to read your mail, now I can read all my
mail, except for what's in my Inbox.

I'm running Ubuntu Feisty, dovecot as an IMAP server, and Gnus v.
5.11.

I'm using the Maildir format.  One thing I noticed is that if I go
down into ~/Maildir, there's a directory, whose name starts with a
dot, for every folder that I see in other mail readers.  And, each of
these directories have a subdirectory named cur.  Every directory that
is except for .INBOX.  E.g., there's a .Trash/cur, a .Sent/cur, etc.
But, there's no .INBOX/cur.  From looking at the contents, it looks
like Inbox's cur is right in Maildir - it's at ~/Maildir/cur.

Is this the problem?  Do I have to somehow tell gnus that Inbox is
structured a little differently on the filesystem?  I can't imagine
that I would have to.  I imagine gnus is going to dovecot, and it's
dovecot reading off the filesystem...

* Re: Can access everything but Inbox on my IMAP server
@ 2007-06-20 16:05 ` Dick Hoogendijk
From: Dick Hoogendijk @ 2007-06-20 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

levander <levander404@gmail.com> writes:

> After having spent an hour figuring out that you have to set an NNTP
> server even if you just want to read your mail, now I can read all
> my mail, except for what's in my Inbox.

You don't have to set a nntp server if your only use of Gnus is
E-mail. You only set the services you do want to use.

> I'm using the Maildir format.

Isn't there a special format in using the Maildir format. Can't
remember because I use gnus with nnimap (and a cyrus imap server)

> I imagine gnus is going to dovecot, and it's dovecot reading off the
> filesystem...

Not sure if this is always true.

--
Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ http://nagual.nl/ + Solaris 11 05/07 ++

* Re: Can access everything but Inbox on my IMAP server
@ 2007-06-20 17:49   ` levander
From: levander @ 2007-06-20 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I guess I should say how I've got my IMAP server specified in
my .emacs:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnimap "PUT A NAME HERE IF YOU LIKE"
		(nnimap-address "louis")
		(nnimap-server-port 143)
		)))

louis is the name of the machine on the LAN that my IMAP server is on.

* Re: Can access everything but Inbox on my IMAP server
@ 2007-06-20 18:45     ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2007-06-20 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

levander <levander404@gmail.com> writes:

> I guess I should say how I've got my IMAP server specified in
> my .emacs:
>
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '((nnimap "PUT A NAME HERE IF YOU LIKE"
> 		(nnimap-address "louis")
> 		(nnimap-server-port 143)
> 		)))
>
> louis is the name of the machine on the LAN that my IMAP server is on.

That would imply an issue with your IMAP server, then; Gnus has
absolutely no notion at all that, somewhere in the world, there's some
Maildir store that actually has the mail, only that it can talk to an
IMAP server and get a list of folders, articles, etc.

If you're not too attached to your Gnus configuration, you could go to
the dead simple

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "louis"))

at the cost of having to resubscribe to your groups and losing any
metadata stored locally.  But now your groups should be accessible as
"foo" rather than "nnimap+PUT A NAME HERE IF YOU LIKE:foo".

If you think you'll use Gnus for other things and want consistency in
your naming, another sensible default setup is

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnimap "louis")
        (nntp "news.example.com")
        (nntp "news.gmane.org")))

which lets you read nnimap+louis:INBOX,
nntp+news.example.com:gnu.emacs.gnus,
nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.gnus.user, etc., all with
fully-qualified names.

  --dzm

* Re: Can access everything but Inbox on my IMAP server
@ 2007-06-21 15:12       ` levander
                           ` (3 more replies)
From: levander @ 2007-06-21 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Thanks David.  You nailed some things I have been wondering about but
haven't even worked on yet.  The nnimap+PUT A NAME HERE IF YOU LIKE
thing was annoying and I hadn't figured out how to get rid of it yet.
Now I have a good idea.

Apparently, I can type "U nnimap+louis:INBOX" to read my mail.  It's
just when I do "U TAB", INBOX doesn't show up in the auto-completion
list.  I turned on IMAP debugging, and switch to the *imap-log*
buffer.  It looks like gnus is sending some LSUB command, and dovecot
is returning all my folders, except for INBOX.  No idea why.

Rather than pepper gnu.emacs.gnus with my newbness, I'm going to add
an issue in this thread:

I wish there was an *Accounts* buffer with gnus, where each account
could be exanded to show the groups in that account - in the same
*Accounts* buffer, not having to switch to *Groups* for a single
account.  I have many different email addresses, and it would
definitely be best to have all my groups divided by accounts.  Maybe I
can figure out some way to sort *Groups* by account?

* Re: Can access everything but Inbox on my IMAP server
@ 2007-06-21 15:44         ` levander
                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: levander @ 2007-06-21 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Further, I'm playing with deleting articles now.  I'd better not get
into what I think gnus is doing, and I remember reading something
about Gnus not working like other mail readers.  But, in Thunderbird
when I delete a mail message, it gets moved to the Trash folder on the
IMAP server.  However, when I delete a message in gnus via "B
<backspace>" and then quitting gnus, the message just disappears.  I
check the message in the Trash folder in Thunderbird, and it's just
not there...

Also, other email clients I've used will sit there and re-check the
mail server for more messages.  It seems gnus only does this check
when you start gnus.  So, to see if I have new mail, I have to
completely restart gnus by quitting it, then starting it again.  Maybe
there's a way just to have gnus poll the IMAP server for new messages?

* Re: Can access everything but Inbox on my IMAP server
@ 2007-06-21 16:13           ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2007-06-21 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

levander <levander404@gmail.com> writes:
> Further, I'm playing with deleting articles now.  I'd better not get
> into what I think gnus is doing, and I remember reading something
> about Gnus not working like other mail readers.  But, in Thunderbird
> when I delete a mail message, it gets moved to the Trash folder on the
> IMAP server.  However, when I delete a message in gnus via "B
> <backspace>" and then quitting gnus, the message just disappears.

info://Gnus/Mail+Group+Commands

`B DEL'
     Delete the mail article.  This is "delete" as in "delete it from
     your disk forever and ever, never to return again." Use with
     caution.  (`gnus-summary-delete-article').

You may want some form of expiry, which is how Gnus normally gets rid
of old messages, archiving them elsewhere, instead of deletion.  See
info://Gnus/Expiring+Mail

(`B <backspace>' is equivalent to `B DEL' here.)

> Also, other email clients I've used will sit there and re-check the
> mail server for more messages.  It seems gnus only does this check
> when you start gnus.

info://Gnus/Scanning+New+Messages

`g'
     Check the server(s) for new articles.  If the numerical prefix is
     used, this command will check only groups of level ARG and lower
     (`gnus-group-get-new-news').  If given a non-numerical prefix, this
     command will force a total re-reading of the active file(s) from
     the back end(s).

There are timer-based ways of inducing Gnus to look for new messages,
too, including conditionals on whether you've been busy lately and
whatnot.  See info://Gnus/Daemons

* Re: Can access everything but Inbox on my IMAP server
@ 2007-06-21 20:05         ` Adam Sjøgren
       [not found]         ` <mailman.2513.1182505196.32220.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2007-06-21 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 08:12:15 -0700, levander wrote:

> I wish there was an *Accounts* buffer with gnus, where each account
> could be exanded to show the groups in that account - in the same
> *Accounts* buffer, not having to switch to *Groups* for a single
> account.  I have many different email addresses, and it would
> definitely be best to have all my groups divided by accounts.  Maybe I
> can figure out some way to sort *Groups* by account?

Maybe the concept of topics will be of help to you? Check out the
manual. Combined with group/topic parameters it is quite flexible.

  Best regards,

--
 "Money always takes the place of life"                       Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Can access everything but Inbox on my IMAP server
@ 2007-06-22  9:04         ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]         ` <mailman.2513.1182505196.32220.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-06-22  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

levander <levander404@gmail.com> writes:

Hi,

> I wish there was an *Accounts* buffer with gnus, where each account
> could be exanded to show the groups in that account

There is. When you're in *Group* hit `^' to enter the server buffer and
there hit `RET' on a server. That will list all groups available on that
server.

> I have many different email addresses, and it would definitely be best
> to have all my groups divided by accounts.  Maybe I can figure out
> some way to sort *Groups* by account?

Create a topic for each account.

,----[ (info "(gnus)Group Topics") ]
| If you read lots and lots of groups, it might be convenient to group
| them hierarchically according to topics.  You put your Emacs groups
| over here, your sex groups over there, and the rest (what, two groups
| or so?)  you put in some misc section that you never bother with
| anyway.  You can even group the Emacs sex groups as a sub-topic to
| either the Emacs groups or the sex groups--or both!  Go wild!
`----

To take care that gnus always uses the right email address for an
account, have a look at posting styles.

,----[ (info "(gnus)Posting Styles") ]
|    So what if you want a different `Organization' and signature based
| on what groups you post to?  And you post both from your home machine
| and your work machine, and you want different `From' lines, and so on?
`----

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Chuck Norris does  not have to answer the phone. His  beard picks up the
incoming electrical impulses and translates them into audible sound.

@ 2007-06-23 19:15           ` levander
From: levander @ 2007-06-23 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Okay, thanks Karl.  I think I need to figure out how to have Gnus just
move the mail article to the Trash folder when I want to "delete".
And, that 'g' command is working fine to check for new mail.  I
haven't looked at the daemons yet.

Tassilo and Adam, topics was exactly what I needed.  I definitely need
those other commands you posted Tassilo, but haven't had a chance to
try them yet.

I'm definitely making more progress and am not completely lost with
you guys help.

But, there is one thing I can't find even a clue for how to do in the
info docs.  I've got two different email addresses with different
logins on the same mail server.  Can I use gnus to login twice to the
same server, and have the INBOX's for each of these addresses show up
as different groups in gnus?

* Re: Can access everything but Inbox on my IMAP server
@ 2007-06-23 19:27             ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-06-23 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

levander <levander404@gmail.com> writes:

> But, there is one thing I can't find even a clue for how to do in
> the info docs.  I've got two different email addresses with
> different logins on the same mail server.  Can I use gnus to login
> twice to the same server, and have the INBOX's for each of these
> addresses show up as different groups in gnus?

Just note that the "machine" entry in .authinfo is not actually a
server address but the symbolic name you use in your select method.
You customize the same nnimap-address variable into several select
method entries, and give a different symbolic server name to each of
those methods, and then have those symbolic server names correspond to
different machine entries in your ~/.authinfo file.

* Re: Can access everything but Inbox on my IMAP server
@ 2007-06-24  2:32               ` levander
From: levander @ 2007-06-24  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Okay, great David.  I haven't finished playing with it yet.  But, that
looks exactly like what I need.

Hopefully this is the last thing.  But, me having played with my
select method so much, I've got a lot of group names hanging around in
my group name auto-complete list.  Meaning, in *Group* mode, when I
hit "U TAB" I've got entries like this showing up in the
*Completitions* buffer:

nnimap+PUT A NAME HERE IF YOU LIKE:INBOX

How do I get rid of all these old auto-completes?

* Re: Can access everything but Inbox on my IMAP server
@ 2007-06-27 18:28                 ` levander
From: levander @ 2007-06-27 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I'm very close to having Gnus set up the way I want it to be!

On Jun 23, 10:32 pm, levander <levander...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How do I get rid of all these old auto-completes?

Apparently, in ~/.newsrc.eld there's a gnus-zombie-list variable.  I
delete the line that set it out of that file and the auto-completes
went away...