* Deleting IMAP articles and having them moved to the Trash
@ 2007-06-27 22:28 levander
From: levander @ 2007-06-27 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Here's my select method for accessing my IMAP account:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnimap "levander@mindspring"
		(nnimap-address "highhat.net"))))

To get it so that I can just hit a button that represents "deletion"
and have them moved to the Trash folder is to set point on the nnimap
+levander@mindspring:INBOX group, hit "G c", go to the bottom, and add
a new variable called nnmail-expiry-target with the value of "nnimap
+levander@mindspring:Trash" - and I do use the quotes in the text
field where the value is set.

So, I open up the nnimap+levander@mindspring:INBOX group and hit 'E'
on an article.  I hit 'B e' to run the expiry process, and the article
just stays in the Summary buffer, with a big E next to it.  In my
other mail client, Thunderbird, the mail message is still in the INBOX
folder.

I restart gnus, change the value of nnmail-expiry-target to
"levander@mindspring.com", restart a few more times, expire other
articles.  Nothing works.  I think I'm just going about this the wrong
way.

I don't care if I use the expiry feature or not.  How do I set it up
so that when I delete messages they get moved to the Trash folder?

The main reason I need it this way is that I use other mail clients
than Gnus.  If it's not consistent where deleted articles go, I'm
going to have to delete the same articles for each mail client I use
that does it a different way.

This functionality has to be on a per-group basis because I have
multiple email accounts.

* Re: Deleting IMAP articles and having them moved to the Trash
@ 2007-06-28  5:32 ` levander
From: levander @ 2007-06-28  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Update.  Setting nnmail-expiry-wait to immediate (it was set to 7),
and emails are leaving my INBOX after I hit E on an article to expire
it, then 'B e' to go ahead and expire all articles marked expirable,
and reopen the group.

However, even though I've checked and do have nnmail-expiry-target set
to "nnimap+levander@mindspring:Trash", the disappeared emails are not
showing up in the Trash folder.

* Re: Deleting IMAP articles and having them moved to the Trash
@ 2007-06-28 19:11   ` levander
From: levander @ 2007-06-28 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

By grepping through the Gnus sources, I found out that *Gnus
customize* has a specific field in it lets you set an expiry target
for a group. You don't have to go down to the bottom and define your
own variable.  Gnus customize has a field for you. Apparently when you
do this, the expiry-target (not the nnmail-expiry-target) variable
gets set for that group in ~/.newsrc.eld.

So, by setting the expiry-target variable for a group, you can control
what happens to a message when it is expired.