* How to make Emacs Gnus to get new mails automatically?
@ 2016-06-30 15:30 ST
From: ST @ 2016-06-30 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello,

I try to fetch new mails with Gnus, but it doesn't work. I tried
following options in my `.emacs` file:

    ;(setq gnus-demon-timestep 10)
    (gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-group-get-new-news 1 nil)
    ;(gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-scan-mail 1 nil)
    ;(gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-scan-news 1 nil)
    (gnus-demon-init)

I tried to add each of the 3 handlers, and put `t` instead of `nil`, but
it didn't work. If I press `g` or run `M-x gnus-group-get-new-news`
manually Gnus does fetchs new mails. I checked `gnus-demon-handlers` and
it indeed says: `gnus-demon-handlers's value is
((gnus-group-get-new-news 1 nil))` but it doesn't fetch mails
automatically.

Thank you!!
Just in case: the question is also here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/38100542/how-to-make-emacs-gnus-to-get-new-mails-automatically

* Re: How to make Emacs Gnus to get new mails automatically?
@ 2016-07-21 20:48 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2016-07-21 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

ST writes:

> I try to fetch new mails with Gnus, but it doesn't work. I tried
> following options in my `.emacs` file:

I'm using this, which works for me:

  ; Demon to fetch email every 5 minutes when Emacs has been idle for 5 minutes:
  (gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-scan-news 5 5)
  ; Demon to send queued email every other minute:
  (gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-delay-send-queue 1 nil)
  (gnus-demon-init)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "file://osv er en del af http fra ruder konges tid."         Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: How to make Emacs Gnus to get new mails automatically?
@ 2016-07-22 11:28   ` ST
From: ST @ 2016-07-22 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Do you use IMAP?

BTW what is better IMAP or POP?

Thank you!

@ 2016-07-22 11:49   ` ST
From: ST @ 2016-07-22 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: info-gnus-english

ps: I tried that:
gnus-demon-handlers's value is ((gnus-delay-send-queue 1 nil)
 (gnus-demon-scan-news 5 5))

but it didn't fetch the emails even after waiting 10 min.
I use IMAP so maybe there is a bug with it?...

@ 2016-07-22 11:50     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2016-07-22 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

ST writes:

> Do you use IMAP?

No, not currently - I don't think it matters for this, though.

> BTW what is better IMAP or POP?

They are for different uses.

IMAP is for when you leave your emails on the server, which is
preferable when you want to have multiple email clients accessing the
same email.

POP is for downloading emails to a local machine, which usually means
only accessing them on that one machine.

Roughly.

  :-),

   Adam

--
 "We read all day and the teachers say,                       Adam Sjøgren
  that it's all for your brighter future days.           asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: How to make Emacs Gnus to get new mails automatically?
@ 2016-07-22 11:52     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2016-07-22 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

ST writes:

> ps: I tried that:
> gnus-demon-handlers's value is ((gnus-delay-send-queue 1 nil)
>  (gnus-demon-scan-news 5 5))
>
> but it didn't fetch the emails even after waiting 10 min.

Did you stay away from Emacs for at least 5 minutes?

The demon only kicks in when Emacs is idle (i.e. you don't use Emacs at
all. No typing, no nothing).

> I use IMAP so maybe there is a bug with it?...

I don't remember any problems when I was using IMAP, but that is of
course possible.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Hvad med kulturen og Information? Kan vi                    Adam Sjøgren
  håbe på mere omtale af dansktoppen?"                   asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: How to make Emacs Gnus to get new mails automatically?
@ 2016-07-23 19:44       ` ST
From: ST @ 2016-07-23 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: info-gnus-english

On Fri, 2016-07-22 at 13:52 +0200, Adam Sjøgren wrote:
> ST writes:
>
> > ps: I tried that:
> > gnus-demon-handlers's value is ((gnus-delay-send-queue 1 nil)
> >  (gnus-demon-scan-news 5 5))
> >
> > but it didn't fetch the emails even after waiting 10 min.
>
> Did you stay away from Emacs for at least 5 minutes?
>
> The demon only kicks in when Emacs is idle (i.e. you don't use Emacs at
> all. No typing, no nothing).

Yes, absolutely nothing.
I now see that I didn't define an smtp account to use for sending out
emails - could this be a problem?

How can I debug the issue generally?

What other options besides Gnus would you suggest for IMAP?

Thank you!

* Re: How to make Emacs Gnus to get new mails automatically?
@ 2016-07-23 19:56         ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2016-07-23 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

ST writes:

> Yes, absolutely nothing.

How did you know that nothing happened?

Does something happen when you (after 11+ minutes) press 'g' in Gnus?

> I now see that I didn't define an smtp account to use for sending out
> emails - could this be a problem?

No. Sending emails is independent of receiving.

> How can I debug the issue generally?

Generally? Like anything else in Emacs.

So, either M-x edebug-defun a relevant function, or modify it to add
some (message "blah") calls, look in *Messages* etc. etc.

> What other options besides Gnus would you suggest for IMAP?

I'm the wrong person to ask, I have been using Gnus for decades, and
don't like the alternatives.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Do you think the people who make these decisions            Adam Sjøgren
  about what features a project will have are the        asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: How to make Emacs Gnus to get new mails automatically?
@ 2016-07-25  9:10           ` ST
From: ST @ 2016-07-25  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: info-gnus-english

On Sat, 2016-07-23 at 21:56 +0200, Adam Sjøgren wrote:
> ST writes:
>
> > Yes, absolutely nothing.
>
> How did you know that nothing happened?

Because I sent an email (through another mail client) and it didn't show
up in Gnus...

> Does something happen when you (after 11+ minutes) press 'g' in Gnus?

Then it works and it shows that a new mail arrived...

> > How can I debug the issue generally?
>
> Generally? Like anything else in Emacs.
>
> So, either M-x edebug-defun a relevant function, or modify it to add
> some (message "blah") calls, look in *Messages* etc. etc.

which function should I modify and in which file is it located?

Thank you!

* Re: How to make Emacs Gnus to get new mails automatically?
@ 2016-07-25 10:46             ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2016-07-25 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

ST writes:

> On Sat, 2016-07-23 at 21:56 +0200, Adam Sjøgren wrote:

>> How did you know that nothing happened?

> Because I sent an email (through another mail client) and it didn't show
> up in Gnus...

>> Does something happen when you (after 11+ minutes) press 'g' in Gnus?

> Then it works and it shows that a new mail arrived...

Ah, ok. Hm.

> which function should I modify and in which file is it located?

Maybe the ones running the demon?

I'm at a loss, because it works for me...

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Literate programming is a very personal thing. I            Adam Sjøgren
  think it's terrific, but that might well be because    asjo@koldfront.dk