* Re: Can't mail out reliably
       [not found] ` <84bs16hnpn.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
@ 2003-02-20 21:34   ` Keith O'Connell
       [not found]     ` <871y22cv1x.fsf@prism.localnet>
From: Keith O'Connell @ 2003-02-20 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

    >> What is the correct way to inform Gnus that the mail-out host
    >> is "smtp.blueyonder.co.uk".

    Kai> By default, Gnus invokes sendmail to send the mail.  (Most
    Kai> other MTAs provide a program called sendmail for
    Kai> compatibility reasons.)

That being the case, sylpheed also makes a call to "sendmail" which is
a reference to exim on my system and the mail gets out fine.

Any other thoughts on what this problem might be down to? I am
convinced it is something of the "idiot-user" variety if only a light
can be shone on it!     :-)

--
Keith.
 [Debian Woody & GNU Emacs 21.2.1 - Gnus v5.9.0]

* Re: Can't mail out reliably
       [not found]       ` <l6v7kbt8tdm.fsf@williams.mc.vanderbilt.edu>
@ 2003-02-21 19:11         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-02-21 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Andrew A. Raines" <drew@poured.net> writes:

> Massimiliano Mirra - bard <mmirra@libero.REMOVETHIS.it> writes:
>
>> Some servers might reject your mail if it has no valid `From '
>> address (ezmlm always does).
>
> Are you sure?  SMTP doesn't care about From_, let alone ezmlm.
> Maildir messages never contain it.
>
> Message headers are never parsed by transfer agents.  The envelope
> is set with MAIL FROM and RCPT TO.

The envelope from is often referred to as the From_ or "From " line,
as Unix mbox format stores it like that.

So Massimiliano meant to make sure that the envelope from is valid.

* Re: Can't mail out reliably
       [not found]   ` <87lm07r6b8.fsf@freezer.burling>
@ 2003-02-23 10:23     ` Keith O'Connell
From: Keith O'Connell @ 2003-02-23 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jason

> I'm not sure this sits well with the rest of your report, but are you
> sure your dial-up connection or your ISP aren't being blackholed?

	Absolutely certain as the Sylpheed setup on the same
	machine gets to every address with no problem

--
  Keith O'Connell.                   -o)