* Gnus and freenews.netfront.net
@ 2003-10-06  1:10 Ync750s02
From: Ync750s02 @ 2003-10-06  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Can anyone read news from freenews.netfront.net with gnus?

I can't read news from freenews.netfront.net with my gnus, which comes default
from RH8, with emacs v21.2. The symptom is that, gnus can't update my group
list with how many unread messages for each of my subscribed group. When I
force reading a whole newsgroup, I can see that gnus gives me a message count
(don't know where gnus gets it, might be the old value). But the updated
message list is still empty, even I only read very few messages (30~50).

I am able to connect to freenews from my Mozilla simply by changing the news
server, and am able to read and post. So I guess the problem is only caused by
gnus. Also, I had been able to connect to different news servers with my
current gnus setting, simply by setting/changing my env var NNTPSERVER.

I'm now forced to use Mozilla, but I really hope that I can use back to my
favorite gnus. If anyone can look into it, it is very much appreciated. The
problem might be as simple as timing, because I experienced 'timeout' from time
to time when using Mozilla to connect to freenews.

Thanks

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-10-06  1:10 UTC | newest]