* rss and password authentication
@ 2008-05-27  8:17 knubee
From: knubee @ 2008-05-27  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Some rss feeds require authentication. I tried the approach listed
here: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/GnusAuthinfo but the site
just keeps asking for login and password (over and over). How to solve
this? thanks.

* Re: rss and password authentication
@ 2008-05-27 14:34 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-05-27 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Tue, 27 May 2008 01:17:15 -0700 (PDT) knubee <knubee@gmail.com> wrote:

k> Some rss feeds require authentication. I tried the approach listed
k> here: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/GnusAuthinfo but the site
k> just keeps asking for login and password (over and over). How to solve
k> this? thanks.

Get the latest Emacs from CVS (it has the changes I've made).  That will
be sufficient to authenticate RSS (actually, HTTP) as your preferred
user name.  Specifically, you need the auth-source.el and url-auth.el
libraries.  You may want the latest Gnus from CVS as well.

Note the default file, specified in the `auth-sources' variable, is
~/.authinfo.gpg.  You can specify a plain file instead but I recommend
setting up EPA and creating that encrypted file.

Once set up, you'll see in the *Messages* buffer that it tries to find
an entry for a particular machine and port.  You need to specify those
in your authinfo/netrc file.

You're the second person that's needed this, so let me know if it fails
for you in any way.

Thanks
Ted

* Re: rss and password authentication
@ 2008-06-01 14:07   ` knubee
From: knubee @ 2008-06-01 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

thanks. i am in the process of getting/building emacs from cvs and
will try it out.

however, i  now realize that my initial posting might have been
ambiguous. when i say that the site asks me to login "over and over"
-- i mean that, although it prompts for name and password, it simply
loops through this, without actually accepting the information i
provide. (i was *not* trying to avoid entering my name and password by
storing that information in an authorization file.)

i thought i saw a posting describing this problem (and providing a
patch), but i cannot seem to find it now.

* Re: rss and password authentication
@ 2008-06-01 14:33     ` knubee
From: knubee @ 2008-06-01 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> it prompts for name and password, it simply
> loops through this, without actually accepting the information i
> provide.

solved. no such problem with cvs version of emacs.