* Re: splitting on body
       [not found] <egada3qw1n.fsf@sefirot.ii.uib.no>
@ 2003-08-21 21:53 ` Thomas Mittelstaedt
       [not found]   ` <egy8xmpa40.fsf@sefirot.ii.uib.no>
From: Thomas Mittelstaedt @ 2003-08-21 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ketil Malde" <ketil+@ii.uib.no> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm struggling to split messages based on body, using the example from
> the Info manual:
>
>           (defun split-on-body ()
>             (save-excursion
>               (set-buffer " *nnmail incoming*")
>               (goto-char (point-min))
>               (when (re-search-forward "Some.*string" nil t)
>                 "string.group")))

Why don't you use procmail to do split-on-body stuff?
Insert some header in the procmail process and then
use standard gnus splitting based on these special additional headers
or move that mail to a special file.
I, for instance, use a special header called X-SpamProbe to
filter for spam.
Here is the relevant part of my .procmailrc:

:0 wf
SCORE=| spamprobe -8 receive
:0 wf
| formail -I "X-SpamProbe: $SCORE"
:0 a
spamprobe

Did this help?

--
Thomas Mittelstaedt
Thomas Mittelstaedt <tmstaedt@t-mittelstaedt.de>

* Re: splitting on body
       [not found]   ` <egy8xmpa40.fsf@sefirot.ii.uib.no>
@ 2003-08-22 10:36     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-08-22 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22 Aug 2003, ketil+@ii.uib.no wrote:

> Thomas Mittelstaedt <tmstaedt@t-mittelstaedt.de> writes:
>
>> "Ketil Malde" <ketil+@ii.uib.no> writes:
>
>>> I'm struggling to split messages based on body, using the example
>>> from the Info manual:
>
>>>           (defun split-on-body ()
>>>             (save-excursion
>>>               (set-buffer " *nnmail incoming*")
>>>               (goto-char (point-min))
>>>               (when (re-search-forward "Some.*string" nil t)
>>>                 "string.group")))
>
>> Why don't you use procmail to do split-on-body stuff?
>
> Because I'm retrieving mail from an IMAP server?  And of course,
> because I want to retain my belief that I'm using the most capable
> MUA known to mankind :-)
>
> I suppose I could replace the call to SET-BUFFER with something that
> first checks for the existence of the buffer?  In what buffer can I
> find the current message when respooling?

I am pretty sure the current buffer contains the message while
splitting, you don't need to change buffers.  Look at the spam-split
function in spam.el, it does body-based analysis for statistical spam
filters.  Remember you have to set the nnimap-split-download-body
variable if you want to see the whole body with nnimap splitting.

Ted