* Emacs Bundling and Gnus Compatibility
@ 2008-09-10 13:29 Volkan YAZICI
       [not found] ` <mailman.18984.1221119333.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Volkan YAZICI @ 2008-09-10 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

I've just upgraded my emacs to 22.3 and "C-h v gnus-version" tells me
that it uses "Gnus v5.11". It doesn't take so long to learn that
neither "/ b", nor "/ R" works anymore despite both documented[1] in
the gnus manual. Why are those commands not brought with the most
recent emacs version? What are their new equivalents? How does emacs
bundle gnus that it contradicts with the official gnus documentation.
Which documentation should I look at for gnus bundled with emacs?

Regards.

[1] http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_83.html

* Re: Emacs Bundling and Gnus Compatibility
@ 2008-09-11  7:46 ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found] ` <mailman.18984.1221119333.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-09-11  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Volkan YAZICI <volkan.yazici@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Volkan,

> I've just upgraded my emacs to 22.3 and "C-h v gnus-version" tells me
> that it uses "Gnus v5.11". It doesn't take so long to learn that
> neither "/ b", nor "/ R" works anymore despite both documented[1] in
> the gnus manual.

I use Emacs 23 and the bundled Gnus (v5.13), but there / b and / R are
available.  What do `C-h k / b' and `C-h k / R' in *Summary* say?

> How does emacs bundle gnus that it contradicts with the official gnus
> documentation.  Which documentation should I look at for gnus bundled
> with emacs?

The right documentation is always the one you get with `C-h i m Gnus
RET'.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
We live in an expanding universe. All of it is trying to get away from Chuck Norris.

@ 2008-09-11 14:35   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-09-11 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:46:27 +0200 Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:

TH> Volkan YAZICI <volkan.yazici@gmail.com> writes:
TH> Hi Volkan,

>> I've just upgraded my emacs to 22.3 and "C-h v gnus-version" tells me
>> that it uses "Gnus v5.11". It doesn't take so long to learn that
>> neither "/ b", nor "/ R" works anymore despite both documented[1] in
>> the gnus manual.

TH> I use Emacs 23 and the bundled Gnus (v5.13), but there / b and / R are
TH> available.  What do `C-h k / b' and `C-h k / R' in *Summary* say?

Mayble Volkan should update just Gnus if he wants the latest (5.13)?

Otherwise he could pull from CVS if he wanted the absolute latest
features and bugs :)  Gnus has been pretty stable; I can recall maybe 4
times it was broken in CVS, so this is not a big deal IMO.

>> How does emacs bundle gnus that it contradicts with the official gnus
>> documentation.  Which documentation should I look at for gnus bundled
>> with emacs?

TH> The right documentation is always the one you get with `C-h i m Gnus
TH> RET'.

Lars updated the website to have up-to-date documentation.  That's a
good thing, I think, because many users find a web search convenient and
fighting against that is a losing proposition.

Ted

@ 2008-09-11 14:53   ` Volkan YAZICI
From: Volkan YAZICI @ 2008-09-11 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sep 11, 10:46 am, Tassilo Horn <tass...@member.fsf.org> wrote:
> I use Emacs 23 and the bundled Gnus (v5.13), but there / b and / R are
> available.  What do `C-h k / b' and `C-h k / R' in *Summary* say?

It appears to be related functions aren't shipped with the most recent
(22.3) emacs version. I'll try to import those functions from gnus cvs
tip. BTW, I still couldn't understand why emacs doesn't ship the
latest gnus in the date it (emacs) is released.

Regards.

* Re: Emacs Bundling and Gnus Compatibility
@ 2008-09-11 14:54     ` Volkan YAZICI
From: Volkan YAZICI @ 2008-09-11 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sep 11, 5:35 pm, Ted Zlatanov <t...@lifelogs.com> wrote:
> TH> The right documentation is always the one you get with `C-h i m Gnus
> TH> RET'.
>
> Lars updated the website to have up-to-date documentation.  That's a
> good thing, I think, because many users find a web search convenient and
> fighting against that is a losing proposition.

While the statement is true, I should have checked what Ted suggested
before asking. My bad.

Regards.

* Re: Emacs Bundling and Gnus Compatibility
@ 2008-09-11 16:26       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-09-11 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 07:54:50 -0700 (PDT) Volkan YAZICI <volkan.yazici@gmail.com> wrote:

VY> On Sep 11, 5:35 pm, Ted Zlatanov <t...@lifelogs.com> wrote:
TH> The right documentation is always the one you get with `C-h i m Gnus
TH> RET'.
>>
>> Lars updated the website to have up-to-date documentation.  That's a
>> good thing, I think, because many users find a web search convenient and
>> fighting against that is a losing proposition.

VY> While the statement is true, I should have checked what Ted suggested
VY> before asking. My bad.

Maybe the web site should have the docs for various versions of Gnus,
clearly labeled in every HTML node, etc.  I wonder if Texinfo has a
feature to do this.

Ted