* Re: How to change default news directroy?
       [not found] <631f9110.0312180306.6a51672c@posting.google.com>
@ 2003-12-18 16:10 ` Harald Maier
       [not found] ` <87brq6rrk7.fsf@jbms.ath.cx>
From: Harald Maier @ 2003-12-18 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

xueruini@hotmail.com (xueruini) writes:

> hello all:
>    I am new to gnus, so many questions :)
>    1. I am using emacs21.3+gnus in winxp, so i want gnus to put the files
>       pertaining to news somewhere else, not the default location
>       c:/

Try also to set the HOME environment variable. Then emacs most times
uses '~/' as the default directory.

>    2. i try to send mail by gnus, but it complains smtp protocol
>       error. i found that it is because emacs's old smtpmail.el. but
>       i download the newest cvs version emacs, it still complains. i
>       don't know what to do

Dark shot. Maybe something is wrong in your .gnus. Please post your
.gnus entries, so people can verify the content.

Harald

@ 2003-12-18 16:22 ` David Hanak
       [not found]   ` <631f9110.0312190212.1463420a@posting.google.com>
       [not found] ` <87brq6rrk7.fsf@jbms.ath.cx>
From: David Hanak @ 2003-12-18 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, xueruini wrote:

>    1. I am using emacs21.3+gnus in winxp, so i want gnus to put the files
>       pertaining to news somewhere else, not the default location c:/

Set the HOME environment variable in Control Panel/System/Advanced tab to a
convenient location.  Both Emacs and Gnus will respect that.

BTW, where did you get Emacs 21.3 for WinXP?  Recently I was forced to move
to Windows from Linux, and I really miss some neat new features of Emacs 21.

>    2. i try to send mail by gnus, but it complains smtp protocol error. i
>       found that it is because emacs's old smtpmail.el. but i download
>       the newest cvs version emacs, it still complains. i don't know what to do

I don't know, it sounds as if the problem didn't concern the version of
smtpmail.el.  As I've implied, I'm using Emacs 20.7 + Gnus, and SMTP works
fine for me.

--
David Hanak - Research Engineer
Institute for Software Integrated Systems  |  http://www.isis.vanderbilt.edu

@ 2003-12-19 16:47     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-12-19 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

xueruini@hotmail.com (xueruini) writes:

> I am thinking are there any other applications using %HOME%? Once I change
> it, would they crash? There should be some more configurable ways, such as
> (gnus-diectory).

One possible way that is not really an answer but side steps the
issue sort of, would be to create a new nnml (or backend of choice)
server and designate the desired base directory for it.

There are examples in gnus manual but get started by pressing a in
server buffer.
Sorry, don't recall the section with the examples.

@ 2003-12-23  1:38   ` xueruini
From: xueruini @ 2003-12-23  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeremy Maitin-Shepard <jbms@attbi.com> wrote in message news:<87brq6rrk7.fsf@jbms.ath.cx>...

Thank you all!
My gnus can now do its work :)

> xueruini@hotmail.com (xueruini) writes:
>
> > hello all:
> >    I am new to gnus, so many questions :)
> >    1. I am using emacs21.3+gnus in winxp, so i want gnus to put the files
> >       pertaining to news somewhere else, not the default location c:/
> >    2. i try to send mail by gnus, but it complains smtp protocol error. i
> >       found that it is because emacs's old smtpmail.el. but i download
> >       the newest cvs version emacs, it still complains. i don't know
> >    what to do
>
> I found that in practice, `gnus-directory' must be set in your emacs
> configuration file, rather than in your gnus configuration file,
> because a great number of variables are initialized based on
> `gnus-directory' when Gnus is loaded.
   so wherer should I put my .gnus, ~ or gnus-directory?

* Re: How to change default news directroy?
       [not found] <631f9110.0312180306.6a51672c@posting.google.com>
@ 2003-12-18 11:17 ` Bastien
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bastien @ 2003-12-18 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

xueruini@hotmail.com writes:

>    1. I am using emacs21.3+gnus in  winxp, so i want gnus to put the
>    files pertaining to news somewhere else, not the default location
>    c:/

(setq gnus-directory "c:/whatever") ?

--
Bastien