* Re: POPing mail using Gnus, how do I do it?
       [not found] <cs9of2cily3.fsf@update.uu.se>
@ 2003-05-10 19:41 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-10 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Davour <ante@update.uu.se> writes:

> Now, the code I added to my .gnus is as follows:
> ;; mailreading
> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
> 	     '(nnmbox "tempo" ; the name of my virtual mbox
> 		      (nnmbox-mbox-file "~/Mail/INBOX")
> 		      (nnmbox-active-file "~/Mail/inbox.active")))
>
> ; data for my mail source
> (setq mail-sources '((pop :server "pop.update.uu.se"
>                           :user "ante")))
>
> This is code I've pieced together from reading the manual and when it
> didn't work, some parts from the web. I'm afraid I don't understand it,
> and why it doesn't work. I never get to type my POP password and a
> buffer called INBOX is created everytime I run Gnus. That's not what I
> wanted. Nothing new shows up in my Group buffer. Should it?
>
> Anybody here who can tell me what I'm doing wrong and maybe tell me why
> it does what it does?

Hm.  Why does Gnus not contact your POP server?  I'm surprised.

Anyhow, the INBOX buffer is normal: Emacs works with data stored in
buffers, so the contents of the file ~/Mail/INBOX also needs to be in
a buffer.

As to the groups, hit `^' when in the *Group* buffer, then hit RET on
the nnmbox server.  This shows a list of groups, you can subscribe to
them with `u'.

What happens if you hit `g' after starting Gnus?

You say that your MTA delivers mail to an mbox file.  Is it the file
~/Mail/INBOX?  That would be very bad.  Gnus does not like other
programs to mess with its files.

If it is another file, /var/mail/ante, say, then try to add a file
entry to mail-sources to check if getting mail works in principle:

(setq mail-sources '((pop ...)
                     (file :path "/var/mail/ante")))

Does "emacs -debug-init" show an error when starting Emacs?  Is there
an error message when you start Gnus?

--
This line is not blank.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-05-10 19:41 UTC | newest]