* pine and gnus clash
@ 2003-04-25 12:12 John J. Lee
       [not found] ` <Pine.A41.4.55.0304251356040.86514@elk.uvm.edu>
From: John J. Lee @ 2003-04-25 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anybody seen this before, or care to hazard a guess as to what the
problem is:

If I use pine (even *without* reading any news) while emacs is
running, then try to use gnus to read news, gnus is unable to connect
to my news server:

nntp (news.freeserve.net) open error: ''.  Continue? (y or n)

Even if I quit pine, gnus still behaves the same way -- I have to quit
pine *and* emacs, then restart emacs (but not pine) and start gnus.

Rather annoying.  Anybody have a clue what's going on?

(BTW, you probably won't be able to connect to news.freeserve.net if
you're not a customer of freeserve)

John

* Re: pine and gnus clash
       [not found]       ` <87u1cin96o.fsf@pobox.com>
@ 2003-04-28 12:59         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-28 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

jjl@pobox.com (John J. Lee) writes:

> Well, if I do C R O in the server buffer on news.freeserve.net, the O
> just causes its state to go back to denied again, *with no network
> traffic*!  I thought O was an explicit request to actually try to
> establish a connection?

That's what I thought, too.  Weird.
--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)