* Re: emacs21 and gnus
       [not found]     ` <84n0ipr6iz.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
@ 2003-04-17 14:10       ` Hugh Lawson
       [not found]         ` <84u1cxay6a.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
From: Hugh Lawson @ 2003-04-17 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Hugh Lawson <hlawson@triad.rr.com> writes:
>
> > Thanks for the reply.  I removed the Emacs 21 Debian package because
> > of the slow gnus startup.  So I'm just working with Emacs 20 now. I
> > like Emacs 21, but want to get some directions on a good setup with
> > gnus before I try it again.
>
> This does not answer Lars' question.  With Emacs 20, you are using
> Gnus 5.8.8.  That's what your header says.
>
> But for Emacs 21, nobody knows until you tell us ;-)
> --
> file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)

OK, I reinstalled the debian packages for emacs21 and emacs21-el. I'm
using emacs21 now.  The gnus version is 5.8.8.

The big delays in loading were at:

Hugh Lawson
hlawson@triad.rr.com

* Re: emacs21 and gnus
       [not found]           ` <87el40ycnw.fsf@desktop.xx.yy>
@ 2003-04-18  9:53             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-18  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hugh Lawson <hlawson@triad.rr.com> writes:

> Hello Kai.  I downloaded the source for Emacs 21.3, compiled and
> installed it under /usr/local. Gnus 5.9 comes up as it should and the
> while, and take up the Debian package issue later.  Thank you for your
> help. Trying to do the 'debug-on-signal' was a bit over my head.

It's good to know that it works faster now.

What was difficult about the debug-on-signal thing?  Next time, I
want to explain better.

> Maybe something about having two different emacs Debian packages
> caused thing not to work right with Gnus.  I was trying out emacs21
> while emacs20 was still on the system.

Did you do anything special yourself so that Emacs 21 could find Gnus
5.8.8?  I'm guessing that you did, and that this was the problem.

The Gnus 5.8.8 Debian package should not byte-compile itself for
Emacs 21.  So maybe you added the directory with the *.el files to
load-path.  And then, Emacs was loading *.el files instead of *.elc
files for Gnus.

And Gnus runs REALLY slow with *.el files instead of *.elc files.
--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)