* Re: access local mail folder with gnus
       [not found] <auj7k8uyreb.fsf@bu.edu>
@ 2003-05-14 11:41 ` Kai Großjohann
       [not found]   ` <1rptml7elm.fsf@crpppc215.epfl.ch>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-14 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Zhiheng Liu <zhliu@bu.edu> writes:

> Hi, I'm trying to access my local mail folder "~/mail" with gnus.  There
> are a few files in that directory, such as "received-mail", "sent-mail",
> They are shared, locally or remotely, by different email clients such as
> "pine", "mozilla-mail".  I hope each file should appear as a "newsgroup"
> in gnus, while keeping the compatibility with other email clients.  So,
> what kind of gnus back end should I use?  And what the major settings
> should be for that back end?  Thanks a lot!

Gnus considers the mail files its own, and gets really really REALLY
angry if you write to these files behind Gnus' back.  So don't do
that.

If you must access the same folders with different clients, I suggest
that you either use an IMAP server, or that you use nnmaildir or nnmh
as the backend.  For those two backends, you can sometimes get by
with modifying files behind Gnus' back.  But you have to be careful.

You can also tell Gnus to copy the messages from the file
~/mail/received-mail into the group nnfolder:received-mail, then
empty the file ~/mail/received-mail.
--
This line is not blank.

@ 2003-05-14 15:50     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-14 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

marcuirl <marcuirl@imap.no2this.cc> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> You can also tell Gnus to copy the messages from the file
>> ~/mail/received-mail into the group nnfolder:received-mail, then
>> empty the file ~/mail/received-mail.
>
> Kai, this bit seems pretty cool, how would one go about doing it
> exactly?

Assuming you already have an nnml or nnfolder or ... backend:

(require 'mail-source)
(add-to-list 'mail-sources '(directory :path "~/mail" :suffix ""))
--
This line is not blank.