* Re: What happened with Oort?
       [not found] ` <848yuzesap.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
@ 2003-03-29  0:16   ` Jack Twilley
From: Jack Twilley @ 2003-03-29  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: What happened with Oort?
@ 2003-03-29 10:06     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-29 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack Twilley <jmt+usenet@twilley.org> writes:

> Jack> I upgraded to Oort 0.16, had an accident where I lost my
> Jack> .newsrc.eld as I mention above, and now it takes roughly one
> Jack> hundred times as long to get my news.  What's the deal here?
>
> Kai> Hm.  Maybe it helps to kill the groups you don't want to see?
>
> 'S z' had no effect.
>
> Any other suggestions?

Yes: kill all groups you don't want to see :-)

S z kills zombies, but maybe the groups weren't zombies, maybe they
were unsubscribed?

But I guess you first looked to verify that the groups were indeed
zombies.  In that case, hm.  I don't really have an idea.

If you have 1,000 unsubscribed or subscribed groups, then the startup
will be fairly slow, whereas having 1,000 killed or zombie groups
will not slow down the startup process significantly.  But I guess
you know that, too.  Hm.