* Re: Installing Oort into /usr/local/stow
       [not found]   ` <87u1d1ub9c.fsf@earthlink.net>
@ 2003-04-14  5:57     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-14  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rob French <fulcrum99lists@earthlink.net> writes:

> I've noticed that in Debian's installation of emacs21, gnus in
> located in /usr/share/emacs/21.2/lisp/gnus/. ie, there is a gnus
> subdirectory. If I use stow in the above manner, it appears the gnus
> .el and .elc files will be placed directly in the site-lisp
> subdirectory (ie, not in site-lisp/gnus).  How likely is this to
> cause any sorts of filename conflicts?

Very unlikely.  Most Lisp files are loaded without giving the
directory name at all.  (The only exception I can think of at the
moment is the lisp/term subdir that comes with Emacs.)

Thus, installing Gnus in a subdir doesn't prevent conflicts.
--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)

* Re: Installing Oort into /usr/local/stow
       [not found] <87k7dzb8o7.fsf@earthlink.net>
@ 2003-04-13  5:28 ` Glyn Millington
       [not found] ` <87fzomuuyw.fsf@gmx.net>
From: Glyn Millington @ 2003-04-13  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rob French <fulcrum99lists@earthlink.net> writes:

> 1) Will ognus conflict with the gnus that ships w/ Emacs 21? I assume
>    there's a way to resolve that conflict.

In my .emacs (when I use Emacs21) I have

;; for the latest greatest gnus.
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/gnus/lisp")
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/gnus/contrib")

Emacs then gets its gnus stuff from those directories rather - have not
experienced any problems.

Some other Oort-related things

;;; adds Oort info to tree!
(setq Info-directory-list (cons "~/elisp/gnus/texi/" Info-directory-list))
;;;they turned this on in Oort gnus
(setq gnus-agent nil)

> 2) So I've got oort from cvs in /usr/local/src/cvs/gnus. I do
> "./configure --prefix=/usr/local", and then I do "make install
> prefix=/usr/local/stow/ognus". Finally, I do "stow ognus" from
> /usr/local/stow. That copies a bunch of files around, but is it
> sufficient?

Try it and see - stow makes undoing the damage pretty straightforward
doesn't it? ;-)

hth

Glyn