* Re: Gnus modifying mail body
       [not found] <1047649822.768219@news.aic.at>
@ 2003-03-14 15:50 ` Kai Großjohann
       [not found]   ` <1047662075.49830@news.aic.at>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-14 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Matthias <amat@kabsi.at> writes:

> Does this make any sense? How can I turn it off? Does Gnus
> have other similar surprising effects?

It's an artefact of the Unix mbox format.  That format specifies that
a line starting F, r, o, m, space starts a new message.  So if there
was a line starting "From " in the message body, it would be mistaken
for the start of a message.  Therefore, the ">" is prepended.

It's braindead.  But there you are.

I don't think that Gnus actually modifies the mail body, I'm guessing
it's some program that comes after Gnus sends off the message.

Hm.  I've now searched all of message.el for the string "from" and
couldn't find such handling.  Here's an idea: write a file that looks
like this:

    From: your-address
    To: some-address
    Subject: test from

    bla

    From test

    bla

Then invoke the following shell command on that file:

    /usr/lib/sendmail -oi -t < /YOUR/FILE/NAME/HERE

Then see if some-address receives ">From".

* Re: Gnus modifying mail body
       [not found]   ` <1047662075.49830@news.aic.at>
@ 2003-03-17 13:23     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-17 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Matthias <amat@kabsi.at> writes:

> Although OT: Does anyone know if sendmail can be configured to
> stop that?

I think there is an `E' mailer flag for this.

But avoiding to escape From_ doesn't help to solve the inherent
problems of the mbox format...

One possibility would be to add a Content-length header.