* Re: "replying" to my own messages
       [not found] <r77he3szxut.fsf@brouilly.inria.fr>
@ 2003-09-04 10:50 ` Norbert Koch
       [not found]   ` <wwekyw1x38.fsf@eliud.mi.uib.no>
From: Norbert Koch @ 2003-09-04 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

James Leifer <James.Leifer@inria.fr> writes:

> Is there a way of changing the behaviour of "r" so that when replying
> to a message that *I* wrote the message goes to the original
> recipients, not to me?
>
> Any ideas would be gratefully received.

You could use 'f' (follow up) instead of 'r'.  If your own name is in
the message-dont-reply-to-names, this should do what you want.

norbert.

* Re: "replying" to my own messages
@ 2003-09-04 11:46   ` James Leifer
       [not found]   ` <wwekyw1x38.fsf@eliud.mi.uib.no>
From: James Leifer @ 2003-09-04 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norbert Koch <nk+news@viteno.net> writes:

> You could use 'f' (follow up) instead of 'r'.  If your own name is in
> the message-dont-reply-to-names, this should do what you want.

Thank you! That works perfectly.

Another question: can I get a warning if I press r by mistake?

-James

* Re: "replying" to my own messages
@ 2003-09-04 12:45     ` Norbert Koch
       [not found]       ` <v9r82wfpv0.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>
From: Norbert Koch @ 2003-09-04 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

James Leifer <James.Leifer@inria.fr> writes:

> Another question: can I get a warning if I press r by mistake?

Somewhat drastic would be to re-define the key (untested)

(define-key gnus-summary-mode-map 'r
            '(lambda ()
              (interactive)
              (message "James, you want to use f[F] not r[R]")
              (sit-for 1)))

norbert.

* Re: "replying" to my own messages
       [not found]           ` <v9ekywfo15.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>
@ 2003-09-04 17:50             ` Norbert Koch
From: Norbert Koch @ 2003-09-04 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> Following the button (info "(gnus)Oort Gnus") should work in XEmacs
> 21.4, too.  Evaluating this expression requires Emacs or a quite
> recent XEmacs (21.5.12).  This node and GNUS-NEWS have the same
> content, but info is nicer to read.

Yup, it works, as does the <info://> thingy.  But, alas, where's the
folding.

I'm waiting for Steve to create a new package (not that I would really
need it, but the cheering crowds :-)).

norbert.

* Re: "replying" to my own messages
       [not found]           ` <v9iso8fpoa.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>
@ 2003-09-04 20:00             ` James Leifer
From: James Leifer @ 2003-09-04 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Reply Followup and Post") ]
> | * Summary Mail Commands::       Sending mail.
> | * Summary Post Commands::       Sending news.
> | * Summary Message Commands::    Other Message-related commands.
> `----

Hi Reiner,

I don't mean to be a pedant but those man pages (for 5.10.2) don't
clearly explain what followup means (neither for news or mail):

========
`S f'
`f'
     Post a followup to the current article (`gnus-summary-followup').
========

Best regards,
-James

* Re: "replying" to my own messages
@ 2003-09-04 21:09               ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-09-04 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 04 2003, James Leifer wrote:

> I don't mean to be a pedant but those man pages (for 5.10.2) don't
> clearly explain what followup means (neither for news or mail):

The term "followup" is not Gnus specific and obviously it would make
no sense to explain it everywhere it appears in the manual.  Therefor,
we have the node "Terminology" where many terms are explained.  You
can also find that node, when looking up "followup" in the Index:

,----[ (info "(gnus)Index") ]
`----

,----[ (info "(gnus)Terminology") ]
| "follow up"
|      Post an article to the current newsgroup responding to the article
|      you are reading.
`----

What do you think?  Feel free to suggest improvements!

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: "replying" to my own messages
       [not found]         ` <r77ptigvbc0.fsf@brouilly.inria.fr>
       [not found]           ` <v9iso8fpoa.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>
@ 2003-09-22 22:19           ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-09-22 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

James Leifer <James.Leifer@inria.fr> writes:

>> reply     message to sender
>> followup  by sending message to all participants of discussion
>
> Thanks!
>
> What's a "wide reply" then?

I never really could figure this out.  Usually, in a news group, f
posts a followup to that group.  I think that a wide reply means to
address the To/Cc folks even in that case.

So f is actually a bit magic.