* What is gnus reading when it says `nntp read NNN'
@ 2017-06-21 11:49 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2017-06-21 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

When gnus is asked to retrieve lots of back messages from a group I
see `nntp read' followed by some numbers advances as each line
appears.

What is it that is being read ... server active file.... list of
messages... each line of messages ... what?

* Re: What is gnus reading when it says `nntp read NNN'
@ 2017-06-30  8:06 ` Richmond
From: Richmond @ 2017-06-30  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> When gnus is asked to retrieve lots of back messages from a group I
> see `nntp read' followed by some numbers advances as each line
> appears.
>
> What is it that is being read ... server active file.... list of
> messages... each line of messages ... what?

I should think it is retrieving the message headers. That's what my gnus
does when I select /o to retrieve old messages.

If I want to download the articles using the agent I mark them all for
download and then download them.

* Re: What is gnus reading when it says `nntp read NNN'
@ 2017-07-01 13:45   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2017-07-01 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Richmond <p1299721@protonmail.com> writes:

>> When gnus is asked to retrieve lots of back messages from a group I
>> see `nntp read' followed by some numbers advances as each line
>> appears.
>>
>> What is it that is being read ... server active file.... list of
>> messages... each line of messages ... what?
>
> I should think it is retrieving the message headers. That's what my gnus
> does when I select /o to retrieve old messages.
>
> If I want to download the articles using the agent I mark them all for
> download and then download them.

So do the numbers represent lines read? or characters maybe?

Maybe one set of nov info... for each line?

* Re: What is gnus reading when it says `nntp read NNN'
@ 2017-07-01 14:52     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2017-07-01 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Harry writes:

> So do the numbers represent lines read? or characters maybe?
>
> Maybe one set of nov info... for each line?

Use the source, Luke:

 · http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/lisp/gnus/nntp.el#n1412

Looks like the numbers represent KiB received via nntp?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Chairman of the pedantic association." "It is               Adam Sjøgren
  actually the society of pedantics, but I'll let that   asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: What is gnus reading when it says `nntp read NNN'
@ 2017-08-08 14:13       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2017-08-08 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Harry writes:
>
>> So do the numbers represent lines read? or characters maybe?
>>
>> Maybe one set of nov info... for each line?
>
> Use the source, Luke:
>
>  · http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/lisp/gnus/nntp.el#n1412

Thanks Obi