* Are gnus mailing list archives available to download
@ 2016-08-12 21:22 myglc2
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: myglc2 @ 2016-08-12 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Are the mail archives for the various gnus-related mailing lists
available to be downloaded?

TIA - George

* Re: Are gnus mailing list archives available to download
@ 2016-08-13 21:20 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-08-13 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

myglc2 wrote:

> Are the mail archives for the various
> gnus-related mailing lists available to
> be downloaded?

If you take a look at the headers of your post,
you learn that

You'll also learn that

However, that last URL doesn't work - perhaps
this has something to do with the recent
maintenance being carried out at the
Gnus towers?

The first URL works and at that site you can
get the archive with FTP in mbox format.
From there you can respool it into any format
you'd care for and then browse it with Gnus!

It is so cool I'm tempted doing it myself only
I can't figure out what I would ever use
it for?

                   - so far: 64 Blogomatic articles -

* Re: Are gnus mailing list archives available to download
@ 2016-08-14  1:06 ` Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2016-08-14  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: myglc2; +Cc: info-gnus-english

myglc2 <myglc2@gmail.com> writes:

> Are the mail archives for the various gnus-related mailing lists
> available to be downloaded?

Archives of the list that we are currenly writing to
(i. e. info-gnus-english@gnu.org) are available, as well as of any list
hosted at gnu.org [0].

[0] ftp://lists.gnu.org/info-gnus-english/

It seems that ding@gnus.org does not have ‘canonical’ archive at all,
but it had been archived on Gmane as ‘gmane.emacs.gnus.general’ since
the very early days.  Despite http://download.gmane.org is not available
now, you can still mirror it via NNTP.

Is there any Gnus-related lists else?

@ 2016-08-14  6:00 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-08-14  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

[ This  ended  up  in  my sentbox,  but  I  was
  fiddling with a lot of settings so perhaps it
  didn't get thru. If it did, a possibly result
                       is it'll appear twice :) ]

myglc2 wrote:

> Are the mail archives for the various
> gnus-related mailing lists available to
> be downloaded?

If you take a look at the headers of your post,
you learn that

You'll also learn that

However, that last URL doesn't work - perhaps
this has something to do with the recent
maintenance being carried out at the
Gnus towers?

The first URL works and at that site you can
get the archive with FTP in mbox format.
From there you can respool it into any format
you'd care for and then browse it with Gnus!

It is so cool I'm tempted doing it myself only
I can't figure out what I would ever use
it for?

                   - so far: 66 Blogomatic articles -

* Re: Are gnus mailing list archives available to download
@ 2016-08-14  6:08   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-08-14  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english; +Cc: Dmitry Alexandrov

Dmitry Alexandrov wrote:

> It seems that ding@gnus.org does not have
> ‘canonical’ archive at all, but it had been
> archived on Gmane as
> ‘gmane.emacs.gnus.general’ since the very
> early days. Despite http://download.gmane.org
> is not available now, you can still mirror it
> via NNTP.

Dmitry Alexandrov, since you seem to be a man
of action, here is a challenge for you:

Where has the Usenet rec.bicycles.tech and
rec.sport.boxing been archived and how can
I mirror THAT via NNTP (i.e., browse it with
Gnus)?

In order for you to score the highest esteem
there are two control questions. One is "what
did they say on rec.sport.boxing after the
Mike Tyson ear thing?". The other question will
remain a secret, but suffice to say, only
a very complete archive of rec.bicycles.tech
will suffice to answer it...

                   - so far: 66 Blogomatic articles -

@ 2016-08-14 15:11   ` myglc2
From: myglc2 @ 2016-08-14 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Alexandrov; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Dmitry Alexandrov <321942@gmail.com> writes:

> myglc2 <myglc2@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Are the mail archives for the various gnus-related mailing lists
>> available to be downloaded?
>
> Archives of the list that we are currenly writing to
> (i. e. info-gnus-english@gnu.org) are available, as well as of any list
> hosted at gnu.org [0].
>
> [0] ftp://lists.gnu.org/info-gnus-english/

Oh, many thanks!

> It seems that ding@gnus.org does not have ‘canonical’ archive at all,
> but it had been archived on Gmane as ‘gmane.emacs.gnus.general’ since
> the very early days.  Despite http://download.gmane.org is not available
> now, you can still mirror it via NNTP.
>
> Is there any Gnus-related lists else?

No, Many thanks ;-)