* Gnus hangs during or after reading nnml
@ 2017-09-06 10:53 Göktuğ Kayaalp
From: Göktuğ Kayaalp @ 2017-09-06 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

sometimes when I fetch new mail with ‘g’, Gnus hangs after the message:
«Reading active file via nnml...done» and I have to keyboard-quit from
it.  When I hit ‘g’ again it works and I don't seem to lose mail.  The
output from an example session is like this:

,----
| Checking new news...
| Reading active file via nnml...
| Reading incoming mail from file...
| Reading incoming mail from pop... [2 times]
| nnml: Reading incoming mail (no new mail)...done
| Reading active file via nnml...done ;; This is where it hangs
| Quit
`----

And this is when it's successful:

,----
| Checking new news...
| Reading active file via nnml...
| Reading incoming mail from file...
| Reading incoming mail from pop... [2 times]
| nnml: Reading incoming mail (no new mail)...done
| Reading active file via nnml...done
| Reading active file from archive via nnfolder...done
| Reading active file via nndraft...done
| Checking new news...done
`----

The related configuration looks like:

,----
`----

,----
| (setf
|  gnus-select-method '(nnml "")
|  gnus-secondary-select-methods
|  '((nntp "gmane"
|          (nntp-address "news.gmane.org"))
|    ;; (nntp "eternal-september"
|    ;;       (nntp-address "news.eternal-september.org"))
|    )
|  gnus-buttonized-mime-types
|  '("multipart/signed" "multipart/alternative" "text/html" "text/x-diff"
|    "text/x-patch" "text/vcard" "text/x-org"))
`----

I'm on Emacs master, commit 7bb75e3d8194c2349bfa4479fd72e10f31bea0a5.

This is the debugger when I quit when it hangs:

,----
| Debugger entered--Lisp error: (quit)
|   signal(quit nil)
|   nntp-with-open-group-function(nil "gmane" nil #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode>))
|     -group = nil
|     -server = "gmane"
|     -connectionless = nil
|     -bodyfun = <some bytecoede>
|     nntp-with-open-group-internal = nil
|     nntp--report-1 = t
|     nntp-report-n = nil
|     -timer = nil
|   nntp-finish-retrieve-group-infos("gmane" <...> 13)
|   gnus-finish-retrieve-group-infos((nntp "gmane" (nntp-address "news.gmane.org")) <...> 13)
|   gnus-read-active-for-groups((nntp "gmane" (nntp-address "news.gmane.org")) <...> 13)
|   gnus-get-unread-articles(nil nil nil)
|   gnus-group-get-new-news(nil)
|   funcall-interactively(gnus-group-get-new-news nil)
|   call-interactively(gnus-group-get-new-news nil nil)
|   command-execute(gnus-group-get-new-news)
`----

I've truncated what seems to be the ‘infos’ argument to these procedures
defined by ‘deffoo’, as they seemed to be superfluous and were very big
piles of conses.  I don't really know the internals of Gnus and how I'd
debug this without possibly harming my mail is unclear to me, so any
help is appreciated.  IDK if this is misconfiguration on my part or a
bug, so I'm asking this here first.  Thanks in advance,

     -g

* Re: Gnus hangs during or after reading nnml
@ 2017-09-06 11:11 ` Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2017-09-06 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Göktuğ Kayaalp writes:

> Hi,
>
> sometimes when I fetch new mail with ‘g’, Gnus hangs after the message:
> «Reading active file via nnml...done» and I have to keyboard-quit from
> it.  When I hit ‘g’ again it works and I don't seem to lose mail.  The
> output from an example session is like this:

Something like that happens to me from time to time when gnus is waiting
for a network connection.

After your success the second time, can you go to the server buffer and
check if any of them are (denied)?  That may point to the connection
that is hanging.

--
Alberto

* Re: Gnus hangs during or after reading nnml
@ 2017-09-06 11:36   ` Göktuğ Kayaalp
From: Göktuğ Kayaalp @ 2017-09-06 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alberto Luaces; +Cc: info-gnus-english

On 2017-09-06 13:11 +02, Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> wrote:
> Göktuğ Kayaalp writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> sometimes when I fetch new mail with ‘g’, Gnus hangs after the message:
>> «Reading active file via nnml...done» and I have to keyboard-quit from
>> it.  When I hit ‘g’ again it works and I don't seem to lose mail.  The
>> output from an example session is like this:
>
> Something like that happens to me from time to time when gnus is waiting
> for a network connection.
>
> After your success the second time, can you go to the server buffer and
> check if any of them are (denied)?  That may point to the connection
> that is hanging.

My server buffer looks like:

,----
|      {nntp:news.eternal-september.org} (closed)
|      {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
|      {nndraft:} (opened)
|      {nntp:gmane} (opened) (agent)
|      {nnml:} (opened)
`----

I don't have a (denied) one but a (closed) one, and after killing it it
seems that the problem is gone now (I weren't subscribed to any group
from it anyways).  Thanks a lot!

@ 2017-10-10 10:59     ` Göktuğ Kayaalp
From: Göktuğ Kayaalp @ 2017-10-10 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 2017-09-06 14:36 +03, Göktuğ Kayaalp <self@gkayaalp.com> wrote:
> On 2017-09-06 13:11 +02, Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> wrote:
>> Göktuğ Kayaalp writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> sometimes when I fetch new mail with ‘g’, Gnus hangs after the message:
>>> «Reading active file via nnml...done» and I have to keyboard-quit from
>>> it.  When I hit ‘g’ again it works and I don't seem to lose mail.  The
>>> output from an example session is like this:
>>
>> Something like that happens to me from time to time when gnus is waiting
>> for a network connection.
>>
>> After your success the second time, can you go to the server buffer and
>> check if any of them are (denied)?  That may point to the connection
>> that is hanging.
>
> My server buffer looks like:
>
> ,----
> |      {nntp:news.eternal-september.org} (closed)
> |      {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
> |      {nndraft:} (opened)
> |      {nntp:gmane} (opened) (agent)
> |      {nnml:} (opened)
> `----
>
> I don't have a (denied) one but a (closed) one, and after killing it it
> seems that the problem is gone now (I weren't subscribed to any group
> from it anyways).  Thanks a lot!

As an update on this issue, this fix has worked temporarily for me, and
I continued to experience hangs for a while.  Today, I tried
de-agentizing nntp:gmane, which seemed to fix the issue for now, tho IDK
if this will be temporary too.  I wanted to ask if anybody has similar
issues to mine, because I believe we're looking at a bug with gnus-agent
here, and when I'll have some spare time will try my hand at debugging
this.

--
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp	<http://www.gkayaalp.com/>
			024C 30DD 597D 142B 49AC

* Re: Gnus hangs during or after reading nnml
@ 2017-10-10 11:12       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-10-10 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Kayaalp wrote:

> Today, I tried de-agentizing nntp:gmane

What does that mean?

> which seemed to fix the issue for now, tho
> IDK if this will be temporary too. I wanted
> to ask if anybody has similar issues to mine

I've had this/a similar issue for several
years (?) and it has been discussed on the
lists so I know it isn't just me. But it is me
as well, for sure :) What happens is, when I do
`gnus-group-get-new-news' I get news alright,
but ~9 out of 10 times I also get this error
message, and no mail update.

    Mail source (pop :user moasen :password
    XYZ123 :server pop.zoho.com :port 995
    :stream ssl) failed: (error USER moasen not
    valid)

However, because the error message just flashes
by, I simply read the news and sooner or later
I get the mails, if any. Not the power user
way, perhaps...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: Gnus hangs during or after reading nnml
@ 2017-10-10 11:31         ` Göktuğ Kayaalp
From: Göktuğ Kayaalp @ 2017-10-10 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 2017-10-10 13:12 +02, Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> wrote:
> Kayaalp wrote:
>
>> Today, I tried de-agentizing nntp:gmane
>
> What does that mean?

That means in the server buffer hitting J r on the nntp:gmane server.
The manual has details on Gnus Agent, it fetches messages for offline
reading.

However I just came to report that this was a temporary fix too.

>> which seemed to fix the issue for now, tho
>> IDK if this will be temporary too. I wanted
>> to ask if anybody has similar issues to mine
>
> I've had this/a similar issue for several
> years (?) and it has been discussed on the
> lists so I know it isn't just me. But it is me
> as well, for sure :) What happens is, when I do
> `gnus-group-get-new-news' I get news alright,
> but ~9 out of 10 times I also get this error
> message, and no mail update.
>
>     Mail source (pop :user moasen :password
>     XYZ123 :server pop.zoho.com :port 995
>     :stream ssl) failed: (error USER moasen not
>     valid)
>
> However, because the error message just flashes
> by, I simply read the news and sooner or later
> I get the mails, if any. Not the power user
> way, perhaps...

In my case 1 out of 2-3 times when I update from the group buffer (hit
‘g’), it hangs indefinitely while fetching from gmane.  Upthread I've
included debugger output and config (‘A T’ in Gnus should get you
there).  I have to keyboard-quit out of it.  When I hit g again I get
both nntp stuff and my email from pop intact (not sure about nntp).

--

@ 2017-10-10 11:59           ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-10-10 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Kayaalp wrote:

> In my case 1 out of 2-3 times when I update
> from the group buffer (hit ‘g’), it hangs
> indefinitely while fetching from gmane.

I think it is the same issue only I did
something to have it not hang but only report
an error message. Because I remember the
situation you describe - *very* frustrating.