* smtp error
@ 2017-06-15  9:19 Georg W. Otto
From: Georg W. Otto @ 2017-06-15  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Dear all,

I am trying to set up gnus to sent email from my gmx account and get an
error. Here is the setup, which I took from the emacs wiki

(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtpserver")
(require 'smtpmail)
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq user-full-name "<user>")
(setq smtpmail-local-domain "gmx.com")
(setq user-mail-address (concat "<user>@" smtpmail-local-domain))

This is the error message I receive:

Sending news via news.gmane.org using nntp...
441 You need a valid email address to post: Invalid response from SMTP
server mx00.gmx.net: 554-gmx.net (mxgmx015) Nemesis ESMTP Service not
available

Sorry, I am not very familiar with this, so I am not sure if this has to
do with my gnus setup at all.... Any idea?

Cheers,

Georg

* Re: smtp error
@ 2017-06-15 11:07 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-06-15 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

"Georg W. Otto" <g.otto@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> This is the error message I receive:
>
> Sending news via news.gmane.org using nntp... 441
> You need a valid email address to post: Invalid
> response from SMTP server mx00.gmx.net: 554-gmx.net
> (mxgmx015) Nemesis ESMTP Service not available

I have not seen this error message but what is your
`user-mail-address' after the Elisp - does it
look right?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: smtp error
@ 2017-06-15 16:19   ` Georg W. Otto
From: Georg W. Otto @ 2017-06-15 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> "Georg W. Otto" <g.otto@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> This is the error message I receive:
>>
>> Sending news via news.gmane.org using nntp... 441
>> You need a valid email address to post: Invalid
>> response from SMTP server mx00.gmx.net: 554-gmx.net
>> (mxgmx015) Nemesis ESMTP Service not available
>
> I have not seen this error message but what is your
> `user-mail-address' after the Elisp - does it
> look right?

Thanks for your help. I experimented a bit further and had a partial
success with this setup:

(setq user-mail-address "<user>@gmx.com")
(setq user-full-name "<user>@gmx.com")
(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "mail.gmx.com"
       smtpmail-local-domain "gmx.com")
(load-library "smtpmail")
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

(setq send-mail-function    'smtpmail-send-it
       smtpmail-smtp-server  "mail.gmx.com"
       smtpmail-stream-type  'ssl
       smtpmail-smtp-service 465)

with this setup I can send a mail (command "m"), but when I try to
follow up a post in a gmane mailing list (command "F"), I still get the
message:

Couldn't send message via news: 441 You need a valid email address to
post: Invalid response from SMTP server mx00.gmx.net: 554-gmx.net
(mxgmx014) Nemesis ESMTP Service not available

Best wishes,

Georg