* sort-by-author
@ 2008-05-20 17:07 imputerate
From: imputerate @ 2008-05-20 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

just a quickie:

why can't i get

gnus-article-sort-by-author

or

gnus-thread-sort-by-author

to work as M-x [command]

on the command line of my gnus session?

the summary file [thread?] in question is:

    9520:*nnml
+privat:mail.misc

* Re: sort-by-author
@ 2008-05-20 18:47 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-05-20 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Tue, 20 May 2008 10:07:47 -0700 (PDT) imputerate <imputerate@gmail.com> wrote:

i> just a quickie:
i> why can't i get

i> gnus-article-sort-by-author

i> or

i> gnus-thread-sort-by-author

i> to work as M-x [command]

i> on the command line of my gnus session?

i> the summary file [thread?] in question is:

i>     9520:*nnml
i> +privat:mail.misc

You need to look at the manual examples for sorting to see how those
functions are supposed to be used.  The summary buffer is where you see
articles, and what you describe above is your group buffer (and you can
sort groups too, by the way, also see the manual).  When you hit RET on
a group, you enter its summary buffer.

Ted

* Re: sort-by-author
@ 2008-05-20 21:42   ` imputerate
From: imputerate @ 2008-05-20 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

ted; thanks, i didn't know that distinction of terminology;

here's what i did:
1/ loaded gnus:

[ Gnus --
7402 ]
      36: nnml
+privat:mail.posted
    7308:*nnml
+privat:mail.misc
  [ misc --
58 ]
        58: nndraft:drafts

2/ then i put the cursor on
7308:*nnml+privat:mail.misc

3/ that yielded its summary buffer;

4/ i went to:
http://gnus.org/manual/big-gnus.html#IDX932

5/ it says  [for threaded summary displays]:
By default, sorting is done on article numbers. Ready-made sorting
predicate functions include gnus-thread-sort-by-number, gnus-thread-
sort-by-author,...

and also:
If you are using an unthreaded display for some strange reason or
other, you have to fiddle with the gnus-article-sort-functions
variable. It is very similar to the gnus-thread-sort-functions, except
that it uses slightly different functions for article comparison.
Available sorting predicate functions are gnus-article-sort-by-number,
gnus-article-sort-by-author...

and also:

C-c C-s C-a
    Sort by author (gnus-summary-sort-by-author).

6/ the third command works [thanks again for pointing me in the right
direction];

7/ so, does that mean that my summary buffer,

-uu1:---F1  Gnus: privat:m.misc [0] {7308 more}   Top L1     (Summary
Plugged)---------

 isn't dealing with threads or even with articles?

On May 20, 1:47 pm, Ted Zlatanov <t...@lifelogs.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 May 2008 10:07:47 -0700 (PDT) imputerate <imputer...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> i> just a quickie:
> i> why can't i get
>
> i> gnus-article-sort-by-author
>
> i> or
>
> i> gnus-thread-sort-by-author
>
> i> to work as M-x [command]
>
> i> on the command line of my gnus session?
>
> i> the summary file [thread?] in question is:
>
> i>     9520:*nnml
> i> +privat:mail.misc
>
> You need to look at the manual examples for sorting to see how those
> functions are supposed to be used.  The summary buffer is where you see
> articles, and what you describe above is your group buffer (and you can
> sort groups too, by the way, also see the manual).  When you hit RET on
> a group, you enter its summary buffer.
>
> Ted

* Re: sort-by-author
@ 2008-05-21 15:14     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-05-21 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Tue, 20 May 2008 14:42:51 -0700 (PDT) imputerate <imputerate@gmail.com> wrote:

i> 7/ so, does that mean that my summary buffer,

i> -uu1:---F1  Gnus: privat:m.misc [0] {7308 more}   Top L1     (Summary
i> Plugged)---------

i>  isn't dealing with threads or even with articles?

The summary buffer (by the way, what you've shown is called the buffer's
modeline) displays the articles.  The articles can be displayed with or
without threads.  To enable threads by default and always show them
sorted by inverse order of arrival and total score, do:

(setq
 gnus-thread-hide-subtree t
 gnus-thread-sort-functions '((not gnus-thread-sort-by-number)
                              gnus-thread-sort-by-total-score)
 gnus-show-threads t)

in your startup file.  This will also (the first setting) hide the
thread tree until you read an article in the thread, which most people
like.  There are other gnus-thread-sort-* functions, you can just plug
them in as shown (the manual has some examples too).

Ted