* archive group and method special?
@ 2004-06-26  7:39 Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2004-06-26  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to handle saved articles from news and mailing lists in the
same way as Gcc'ed articles, because the situations seem quite similar
to me.  I have a mbox file of saved articles of a news group foo.bar
ready; I copied it to ~/Archive/foo/bar, alongside
~/Archive/mail/archived, which is my Gcc folder and works fine.  But
when I create a group nnfolder+archive:foo.bar and click on it, I get
the dreaded "Can't select group".  (Dreaded by me, at least.  I have
never been able to do what I wanted once this message appeared).

So is the "archive" address for nnfolder special in some way that prevents
creation of groups other than the Gcc group?  And how can I get closer to
my goal, having mboxes of saved news articles with "active" entries?
I do _not_ want these folders mixed with my nnml mail group directories.

--
"It's not true or not."  A reality show producer (real quote)

* Re: archive group and method special?
@ 2004-06-26 20:57 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-06-26 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ian Zimmerman <itz@buug.org> writes:

> I would like to handle saved articles from news and mailing lists in the
> same way as Gcc'ed articles, because the situations seem quite similar
> to me.  I have a mbox file of saved articles of a news group foo.bar
> ready; I copied it to ~/Archive/foo/bar, alongside
> ~/Archive/mail/archived, which is my Gcc folder and works fine.  But
> when I create a group nnfolder+archive:foo.bar and click on it, I get
> the dreaded "Can't select group".  (Dreaded by me, at least.  I have
> never been able to do what I wanted once this message appeared).

Did you use `G m' to create that group?

If all else fails, you can still create the nnfolder+archive:foo.bar
group with `G m', then use `G f' (say) to access the saved articles,
then `M P a' to mark them all, then `B c' to copy them over to the
nnfolder+archive:foo.bar group.  Takes longer, but should be
successful.

Kai, who uses the gcc-self feature to have Gcc'd copies in the same
     groups as the incoming articles, and who uses gnus-use-cache == t
     and ticks news articles that are supposed to stay.