* how to obtain green background for some text?
@ 2007-07-20 15:57 Gernot Hassenpflug
       [not found] ` <mailman.3701.1184955717.32220.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Gernot Hassenpflug @ 2007-07-20 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello,

I have used boxquote.el a lot for marking cited text, but am searching
for a manner in which to mark text, particularly code, in my posting
with a green background. Searches for "background color",
"highlighting", and similar did not lead to any useful links for me
either for this newsgroup or the comp.text.tex group. I am hoping
someone here knows how to do this in gnus. I have also tried emacs's
text properties from the edit menu, but none of the font
foreground/background options are available in editing articles for
newsgroups.

Any help or hints appreciated.
--
Gernot Hassenpflug

* Re: how to obtain green background for some text?
@ 2007-07-20 18:21 ` Tom Rauchenwald
       [not found] ` <mailman.3701.1184955717.32220.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tom Rauchenwald @ 2007-07-20 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Gernot Hassenpflug <gernot@coda.ocn.ne.jp> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have used boxquote.el a lot for marking cited text, but am searching
> for a manner in which to mark text, particularly code, in my posting
> with a green background. Searches for "background color",
> "highlighting", and similar did not lead to any useful links for me
> either for this newsgroup or the comp.text.tex group. I am hoping
> someone here knows how to do this in gnus. I have also tried emacs's
> text properties from the edit menu, but none of the font
> foreground/background options are available in editing articles for
> newsgroups.

I don't quite understand. You can't tell in a usenet-message how
another client should render your code (unless you use html, but that
is evil). Do you mean something like the #v+ and #v- marks? If I
recall correctly, No Gnus supports them, like
#v+
code...
#v-
But not many clients support this (afaik slrn does).

> Any help or hints appreciated.

Tom

* Re: how to obtain green background for some text?
@ 2007-07-21 11:09   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-07-21 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 2007-07-20 19:21 +0100, Tom Rauchenwald wrote:
> Do you mean something like the #v+ and #v- marks? If I
> recall correctly, No Gnus supports them, like
> code...

Where can I find out more about this?

* Re: how to obtain green background for some text?
@ 2007-07-21 11:57     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-07-21 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

,----[ (info "(message)Insertion") ]
| `C-c M-m'
|      Mark some region in the current article with enclosing tags.  See
|      `message-mark-insert-begin' and `message-mark-insert-end'.  When
|      called with a prefix argument, use slrn style verbatim marks
|      (`#v+' and `#v-').
|
| `C-c M-f'
|      Insert a file in the current article with enclosing tags.  See
|      `message-mark-insert-begin' and `message-mark-insert-end'.  When
|      called with a prefix argument, use slrn style verbatim marks
|      (`#v+' and `#v-').
`----

For the display in article mode, see `mm-uu-type-alist'.

As for Gernot's original question, I'm not sure what you are trying to
achieve.  Please elaborate.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

@ 2007-07-21 16:22   ` Gernot Hassenpflug
From: Gernot Hassenpflug @ 2007-07-21 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Tom Rauchenwald <its.sec@gmx.net> writes:

> Gernot Hassenpflug <gernot@coda.ocn.ne.jp> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have used boxquote.el a lot for marking cited text, but am searching
>> for a manner in which to mark text, particularly code, in my posting
>> with a green background. Searches for "background color",
>> "highlighting", and similar did not lead to any useful links for me
>> either for this newsgroup or the comp.text.tex group. I am hoping
>> someone here knows how to do this in gnus. I have also tried emacs's
>> text properties from the edit menu, but none of the font
>> foreground/background options are available in editing articles for
>> newsgroups.
>
> I don't quite understand. You can't tell in a usenet-message how
> another client should render your code (unless you use html, but that
> is evil). Do you mean something like the #v+ and #v- marks? If I
> recall correctly, No Gnus supports them, like

Yes, that more or less it. Seems something like that, since whatever
it is you did made me see the line with "code" in green text on a sort
of beige background. I have no idea what you call that: are those #v
things escape sequences? I don't even know what I should be searching
for... when I look at the "raw" article in gnus, or reply, there is
nothing different visible anymore.

I did not know that you canot tell another client these things. For
instance, we have *text* which some readers will interpret as bold
text, or underlined, or something. I haven't seen any documentation in
gnus on that, but assumed it was standard rendering for newsreaders
that can do that (like showing smileys in graphics if they have the
capability).

> code...
>
> But not many clients support this (afaik slrn does).

I see, I am indeed using No Gnus v0.6.

Thanks,
        Gernot
--

@ 2007-07-21 16:28       ` Gernot Hassenpflug
From: Gernot Hassenpflug @ 2007-07-21 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> On Sat, Jul 21 2007, Leo wrote:
>
>> On 2007-07-20 19:21 +0100, Tom Rauchenwald wrote:
>>> Do you mean something like the #v+ and #v- marks? If I
>>> recall correctly, No Gnus supports them, [...]
>> Where can I find out more about this?
>
> ,----[ (info "(message)Insertion") ]
> | `C-c M-m'
> |      Mark some region in the current article with enclosing tags.  See
> |      `message-mark-insert-begin' and `message-mark-insert-end'.  When
> |      called with a prefix argument, use slrn style verbatim marks
> |      (`#v+' and `#v-').
> |
> | `C-c M-f'
> |      Insert a file in the current article with enclosing tags.  See
> |      `message-mark-insert-begin' and `message-mark-insert-end'.  When
> |      called with a prefix argument, use slrn style verbatim marks
> |      (`#v+' and `#v-').
> `----

Thanks! As the example given by Tom Rauchenwald appears to have used
this arcane (to me) #v+ ... #v-, I will investigate that.

> For the display in article mode, see `mm-uu-type-alist'.
>
> As for Gernot's original question, I'm not sure what you are trying to
> achieve.  Please elaborate.

I cannot give an example, as I cannot duplicate this. However, can I
give a reference to an article in another newsgroup that shows this?
The purpose is simple to make it easier to distinguish a minimal
example (LaTeX) which one can then copy verbatim (boxquote does not
lend itself to that as easily, obviously). In comp.text.tex there is
this article:

From: <corff@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Subject: Re: Uploaded TeX reconsidered
Date: 20 Jul 2007 15:32:30 GMT

(body not copied)

This has some text which looks like the example line "code" given by
Tom Rauchenwald.

Thanks,
        Gernot
--

@ 2007-07-21 18:08         ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-07-21 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sat, Jul 21 2007, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>> For the display in article mode, see `mm-uu-type-alist'.
>>
>> As for Gernot's original question, I'm not sure what you are trying to
>> achieve.  Please elaborate.
>
> I cannot give an example, as I cannot duplicate this. However, can I
> give a reference to an article in another newsgroup that shows this?
> The purpose is simple to make it easier to distinguish a minimal
> example (LaTeX) which one can then copy verbatim (boxquote does not
> lend itself to that as easily, obviously). In comp.text.tex there is
> this article:
[...]
> (body not copied)

This entry in `mm-uu-type-alist' is responsible for this:

    (LaTeX
     "^\\([\\\\%][^\n]+\n\\)*\\\\documentclass.*[[{%]"
     "^\\\\end{document}"
     mm-uu-latex-extract
     nil
     mm-uu-latex-test)

I.e. if there's a line like \documentclass[foo]{bar} closed by a line
like \end{document} it is recognized as "non-MIME attachment":

,----[ <f1> v mm-uu-type-alist RET ]
| mm-uu-type-alist is a variable defined in `mm-uu'.
| Its value is shown below.
|
| Documentation:
| A list of specifications for non-MIME attachments.
| Each element consist of the following entries: label,
| start-regexp, end-regexp, extract-function, test-function.
|
| After modifying this list you must run M-x mm-uu-configure.
`----

It will not work in this group, because by default, it is only enable
in TeX groups:

,----[ <f1> v mm-uu-tex-groups-regexp RET ]
| mm-uu-tex-groups-regexp is a variable defined in `mm-uu'.
| Its value is "\\.tex\\>"
|
| Documentation:
| *Regexp matching TeX groups.
|
| You can customize this variable.
`----

Keep in mind that probably only Gnus will highlight the LaTeX document
in this way.  Or is anyone aware of another newsreader with this
feature?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: how to obtain green background for some text?
@ 2007-07-22  1:53           ` Gernot Hassenpflug
From: Gernot Hassenpflug @ 2007-07-22  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> On Sat, Jul 21 2007, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
>
>> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
> /../
> This entry in `mm-uu-type-alist' is responsible for this:
>
>     (LaTeX
>      "^\\([\\\\%][^\n]+\n\\)*\\\\documentclass.*[[{%]"
>      "^\\\\end{document}"
>      mm-uu-latex-extract
>      nil
>      mm-uu-latex-test)
>
> I.e. if there's a line like \documentclass[foo]{bar} closed by a line
> like \end{document} it is recognized as "non-MIME attachment":
>
> ,----[ <f1> v mm-uu-type-alist RET ]
> | mm-uu-type-alist is a variable defined in `mm-uu'.
> | Its value is shown below.
> |
> | Documentation:
> | A list of specifications for non-MIME attachments.
> | Each element consist of the following entries: label,
> | start-regexp, end-regexp, extract-function, test-function.
> |
> | After modifying this list you must run M-x mm-uu-configure.
> `----

Very interesting, I've never noted the use of mm-something-something
before. Time to read...

> It will not work in this group, because by default, it is only enable
> in TeX groups:
>
> ,----[ <f1> v mm-uu-tex-groups-regexp RET ]
> | mm-uu-tex-groups-regexp is a variable defined in `mm-uu'.
> | Its value is "\\.tex\\>"
> |
> | Documentation:
> | *Regexp matching TeX groups.
> |
> | You can customize this variable.
> `----

OK, but the example by a previous poster (using #v+ ... #v-) did show
up the same way. I will check documentation.

> Keep in mind that probably only Gnus will highlight the LaTeX document
> in this way.  Or is anyone aware of another newsreader with this
> feature?

Thanks again,
       Gernot
--

@ 2007-07-22  8:57             ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-07-22  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sun, Jul 22 2007, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>> It will not work in this group, because by default, it is only enable
>> in TeX groups:
[...]
> OK, but the example by a previous poster (using #v+ ... #v-) did show
> up the same way.

Yes, #v+/#v- is not restricted to particular group names whereas
\documentclass detection only makes sense in LaTeX related groups.

> I will check documentation.

There's some documentation in (info "(emacs-mime)Non-MIME").  Probably
some references to this node should be added in the Gnus manual.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: how to obtain green background for some text?
@ 2007-07-22 14:46               ` Gernot Hassenpflug
From: Gernot Hassenpflug @ 2007-07-22 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> On Sun, Jul 22 2007, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
>
>> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>>> It will not work in this group, because by default, it is only enable
>>> in TeX groups:
> [...]
>> OK, but the example by a previous poster (using #v+ ... #v-) did show
>> up the same way.
>
> Yes, #v+/#v- is not restricted to particular group names whereas
> \documentclass detection only makes sense in LaTeX related groups.

True that.

>> I will check documentation.
>
> There's some documentation in (info "(emacs-mime)Non-MIME").  Probably
> some references to this node should be added in the Gnus manual.

I'll see what I can put together in the next couple of nights. I'm no
expert of course, but a start is better than nothing.
--
Gernot Hassenpflug