* nnrss group and auto-expire
@ 2018-01-22 11:57 Rud1ger Sch1erz
       [not found] ` <mailman.7766.1516642551.27995.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Rud1ger Sch1erz @ 2018-01-22 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I'd like to use auto-expire for my nnrss groups, thus mark read articles
as expirable automatically.

While this works fine form my nnml groups, nnrss groups seem to ignore
it. However I can mark single articles in nnrss group as expirable using
the `E' command.

Any ideas?

--
Tschau
Rüdiger

* Re: nnrss group and auto-expire
@ 2018-01-22 17:34 ` Eric Abrahamsen
       [not found] ` <mailman.7766.1516642551.27995.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-01-22 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Rud1ger Sch1erz <nospam_tigre@yahoo.es> writes:

> I'd like to use auto-expire for my nnrss groups, thus mark read articles
> as expirable automatically.
>
> While this works fine form my nnml groups, nnrss groups seem to ignore
> it. However I can mark single articles in nnrss group as expirable using
> the `E' command.
>
> Any ideas?

I'm not certain, but I wouldn't expect expiry to work at all in nnrss
groups. They are essentially read-only, whereas expiry means you want
the articles to *go* somewhere after a certain period of time. I
wouldn't expect you could make nnrss articles go anywhere.

Eric

@ 2018-01-23 16:40   ` Rud1ger Sch1erz
From: Rud1ger Sch1erz @ 2018-01-23 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> I'm not certain, but I wouldn't expect expiry to work at all in nnrss
> groups. They are essentially read-only, whereas expiry means you want
> the articles to *go* somewhere after a certain period of time. I
> wouldn't expect you could make nnrss articles go anywhere.

Well, when fetching articles from an RSS feed, don't they get stored
locally in a rss file in ~/News/rss/...?

I would expect, that I was able, to kill them there, which should also be
possible by expiring? Sure, you couldn't kill'em at the origin RSS
feed...

--
Cheers,

@ 2018-01-23 17:38     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-01-23 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Rud1ger Sch1erz <nospam_tigre@yahoo.es> writes:

>> I'm not certain, but I wouldn't expect expiry to work at all in nnrss
>> groups. They are essentially read-only, whereas expiry means you want
>> the articles to *go* somewhere after a certain period of time. I
>> wouldn't expect you could make nnrss articles go anywhere.
>
> Well, when fetching articles from an RSS feed, don't they get stored
> locally in a rss file in ~/News/rss/...?
>
> I would expect, that I was able, to kill them there, which should also be
> possible by expiring? Sure, you couldn't kill'em at the origin RSS
> feed...

You're right, there is a `nnrss-request-expire-articles', guess I should
have looked at the code first! My only suggestion at this point is to
e-debug that function, and step through it -- maybe you'll see something
going wrong.

Eric