* Re: How to swith off Mime encoding when replying to post ?
       [not found] <87of2tjz6l.fsf@o2.s.fr>
@ 2003-04-27  2:50 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
       [not found]   ` <87el3lswr9.fsf@o2.s.fr>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-04-27  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

frederic.line@wanadoo.fr (Frédéric Liné) writes:

> When I send a reply to a post, the message is mime-encoded. Is there a way
> to prevent this encoding ?

See `gnus-group-posting-charset-alist' and related variables.

But why would you do something like that?

* Re: How to swith off Mime encoding when replying to post ?
       [not found]       ` <8765oxstl1.fsf@o2.s.fr>
@ 2003-05-01 12:06         ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-05-01 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, May 01 2003, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Does anybody have a cookbook example on how to switch off MIME in
> certain news groups?  This should probably be in the FAQ.  (Perhaps
> it already is?  :-)

I'm not sure, what Frédéric meant.  Maybe he's talking about
multipart/mixed articles.  This is indeed a FAQ:

;; For Emacs (and thus Gnus), an `Ä' from ISO-8859-1 [1] is different than an
;; `Ä' from ISO-8859-15 [1].  Thus, when you reply to a message, the quote may
;; contain characters from ISO-8859-1.  When you enter characters from
;; ISO-8859-15, you'll end up in a buffer that contains characters from
;; different charsets.  Therefore Gnus splits the message into ISO-8859-1 and
;; ISO-8859-15 parts.  Gnus will prompt you: "A message part needs to be split
;; into N charset parts.  Really send?".  Unfortunately users with other news-
;; and mailreaders don't like this kind of messages ("Content-Type:
;; multipart/mixed").
;;
;; [1] ISO-8859-1 (aka Latin-1) and ISO-8859-15 (aka Latin-9 or Latin-0) are
;; just exapmles here, though the most important ones in western europe.

See <URL:http://my.gnus.org/Members/rsteib/howto_unify/> [1] or
<URL:http://theotp1.physik.uni-ulm.de/~ste/comp/emacs/rs-gnus-unify.el>
for details.

Bye, Reiner.

[1] my.gnus.org has been down the last days.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: How to swith off Mime encoding when replying to post ?
@ 2003-05-02  8:14           ` Frédéric Liné
From: Frédéric Liné @ 2003-05-02  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> I'm not sure, what Frédéric meant.  Maybe he's talking about
> multipart/mixed articles.  This is indeed a FAQ:
>
> For Emacs (and thus Gnus), an `Ä' from ISO-8859-1 [1] is different than an
> `Ä' from ISO-8859-15 [1].  Thus, when you reply to a message, the quote may
> contain characters from ISO-8859-1.  When you enter characters from
> ISO-8859-15, you'll end up in a buffer that contains characters from
> different charsets.  Therefore Gnus splits the message into ISO-8859-1 and
> ISO-8859-15 parts.  Gnus will prompt you: "A message part needs to be split
> into N charset parts.  Really send?".  Unfortunately users with other news-
> and mailreaders don't like this kind of messages ("Content-Type:
> multipart/mixed").

Well, yes it is exactly my problem but at the beginning I couldn't find out
what was exactly the origin. But I have checked and the posts I'm answering
are coded with ISO-8859-15 whereas my own posts have an ISO-8859-1 encoding.

> [1] my.gnus.org has been down the last days.

It's still down.And the other link can't be reached either.

Do you know how to prevent the multipart/mixed encoding and how to come back
to plain text ? I will correct the erroneous characters by hand.

--
FL