* mail message w/ attached TIFF crashes gnus, XEmacs
@ 2003-03-23 21:58 Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2003-03-23 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using a recently installed copy of XEmacs 21.4 (patch 11) and gnus
5.8.8 on a Windows XP system.  This has been working beautifully, but

I have one mail message which I can't open.  As soon as I try to open
it, gnus and XEmacs crash completely.  I get a separate window with a
lisp backtrace, and then XEmacs goes bye-bye.  I can't seem to capture
the backtrace or anything, so I don't even have that kind of diagnostic
information to file a bug report.

The message is a short text message with an attached TIFF image, and
it was sent from Mozilla 1.3, if that helps.  I seem to be able to
open it with no problems with other MUAs, so I'm curious what's up here.

Any clues on this?

Thanks,

-pd

--
--------
                             Peter Davis

* Re: mail message w/ attached TIFF crashes gnus, XEmacs
@ 2003-03-24  5:00 ` Stephen J. Turnbull
From: Stephen J. Turnbull @ 2003-03-24  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Peter> I have one mail message which I can't open.  As soon as I
    Peter> try to open it, gnus and XEmacs crash completely.

A crash is always a bug.  Please report it using M-x
report-xemacs-bug.  If privacy permits, attach the raw message
including full headers and the TIFF image MIME part.  (It may be
easier to create the bug report buffer, save it to a file, then
forward the message as a digest or something and attach the bug report
file.)

    Peter> I can't seem to capture the backtrace or anything, so I
    Peter> don't even have that kind of diagnostic information to file
    Peter> a bug report.

If you have a debugger (Cygwin provides gdb, for example), start
XEmacs from inside the debugger, then make it crash.  That should give
you a way to get that kind of information.