* Cannot send messages to newsgroups
@ 2008-10-13  9:32 Hermann
From: Hermann @ 2008-10-13  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,
when I try to send a message to newsgroups, it failed with the exit
code 65.
this message appears in the status line, and I couldn't figure out what
this means.
I use msmtp as mta, that forwards all messages to my provider's mail
service (1und1, Germany).
I have no trouble sending mail, it is only a phenomenon that appears in
newsgroups.
Any ideas?
Hermann

* Re: Cannot send messages to newsgroups
@ 2008-10-13 13:08 ` Andy Stewart
From: Andy Stewart @ 2008-10-13 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hermann <meinelisten@onlinehome.de> writes:

> Hi,
> when I try to send a message to newsgroups, it failed with the exit
> code 65.
> this message appears in the status line, and I couldn't figure out what
> this means.
> I use msmtp as mta, that forwards all messages to my provider's mail
> service (1und1, Germany).
> I have no trouble sending mail, it is only a phenomenon that appears in
> newsgroups.
> Any ideas?
> Hermann

Hi, it's perhaps configuration with ~/.msmtprc

Below is my, try it.

account default
host smtp.gmail.com
domain smtp.gmail.com
tls on
tls_certcheck off
tls_starttls on
auth on
user username@gmail.com
from username@gmail.com
password xxxxxx
port 587
logfile ~/.msmtplog

* Re: Cannot send messages to newsgroups
@ 2008-10-13 15:32   ` Hermann
From: Hermann @ 2008-10-13 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 13.10.2008 at 15:08:35 Andy Stewart <lazycat.manatee@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hermann <meinelisten@onlinehome.de> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>> when I try to send a message to newsgroups, it failed with the exit
>> code 65.
>> this message appears in the status line, and I couldn't figure out what
>> this means.
>> I use msmtp as mta, that forwards all messages to my provider's mail
>> service (1und1, Germany).
>> I have no trouble sending mail, it is only a phenomenon that appears in
>> newsgroups.
>> Any ideas?
>> Hermann
>
> Hi, it's perhaps configuration with ~/.msmtprc
>
> Below is my, try it.
>
> account default
> host smtp.gmail.com
> domain smtp.gmail.com
> tls on
> tls_certcheck off
> tls_starttls on
> auth on

The "auth" variable seems to be the problem: Turnign it into "on"
instead of "login" disables msmtp. I guess my ISP's server doesn't
accept any other login method than "login".
The question is however, why sending mails to persons and mailing lists
succeed? I posted my original news with Thunderbird, where my ISP is
set as the standard smtp server, but, of course, without stuff like msmtp.

@ 2008-10-13 15:42   ` Hermann
From: Hermann @ 2008-10-13 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 13.10.2008 at 15:08:35 Andy Stewart <lazycat.manatee@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hermann <meinelisten@onlinehome.de> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>> when I try to send a message to newsgroups, it failed with the exit
>> code 65.
>> this message appears in the status line, and I couldn't figure out what
>> this means.

And moreover: Replies seem to get through; check the source of my latest
replies. But I tried to send this one as a new message and I didn't
suceed.
So really odd.

@ 2008-10-13 15:52     ` Hermann
From: Hermann @ 2008-10-13 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 13.10.2008 at 17:42:01 Hermann <meinelisten@onlinehome.de> wrote:

>>> when I try to send a message to newsgroups, it failed with the exit
>>> code 65.

Here is what msmtp.log tells me:
Okt 13 17:37:38 host=smtp.1und1.de tls=off auth=on user=3188-567 from=meinelisten@onlinehome.de recipients=gnu.emacs.gnus smtpstatus=501 smtpmsg='501 bad address syntax: <gnu.emacs.gnus>' errormsg='Empfaengeradresse gnu.emacs.gnus wird vom Server nicht akzeptiert' exitcode=EX_DATAERR
The German parts of the message say that gnu.emacs.gnus is not accepted
by the server due to bad syntax.
But why the hell does the very same server accept messages sent by
Thunderbird?
Rather confusing.
Hermann