* How to clean up the mess in From: line from maillist
@ 2022-06-11  0:55 hput via Announcements and discussions for GNUS, the GNU Emacs Usenet newsreader (in English)
From: hput via Announcements and discussions for GNUS, the GNU Emacs Usenet newsreader (in English) @ 2022-06-11  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

My messages seem to carry a bunch of guff into this group from the
maillist.

All the guff in my From: line:

From: hput via "Announcements and discussions for GNUS, the GNU Emacs Usenet newsreader (in
 English)" <info-gnus-english@gnu.org>

Thats enough bull puckey to sink a smallish battleship.

I used to know how to trim stuff fromm a from line but forgot it many
years ago.

What can I so that all but the actual address of that maillist is
gone?

* Re: How to clean up the mess in From: line from maillist
  2022-06-11  0:55 How to clean up the mess in From: line from maillist hput via Announcements and discussions for GNUS, the GNU Emacs Usenet newsreader (in English)
@ 2022-06-11  9:05 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2022-06-11  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

hput writes:

> My messages seem to carry a bunch of guff into this group from the
> maillist.

You can thank spammers for that.

Many mailing lists do From: rewriting these days when the From:-domain
has DMARC set up, because otherwise emails sent out by the mailing list
fail SPF.

This can be avoided by adding a DKIM header, which can be non-trivial¹ -
e.g. you need control of DNS of the domain in your From:-address.

> What can I so that all but the actual address of that maillist is
> gone?

The munged From:-line is what the mailing list sends out - so all you
can achieve is that it looks different on your screen.

  Best regards,

    Adam

¹ https://koldfront.dk/adding_dkim_to_news_articles_1617

--
 "Är där noget så härligt som blommer om moronnen?          Adam Sjøgren
  Ja, alko-läsk!"                                      asjo@koldfront.dk